Bulk Bone-In Chicken Breast HELP!

Started by rwelchjr91, May 26, 2015, 10:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwelchjr91

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum and I could really use some advice. I have had my Bradley 6 Rack Digital smoker for about a year now and have had some pretty successful outcomes smoking venison, pork and sausage and chicken in small batches. My first attempt at bulk chicken breast was Mothers Day and let's just say it could have went better. My next attempt is at my cousins graduation party at the end of the month.

Just like on Mothers Day, I am going to attempt to cook 15lbs of bone-in chicken breast. In general I am looking for any advice but I will list a few questions below.
1) What temp and how long do you think this will take? I was thinking of trying to hold an internal temp of 235-250F with vent wide open.
2) I have a single element--would it be best to rotate racks half way through or more than that?
3) Is 2 hours of smoke going to be too strong? ( I plan on using Apple).
4) From my experience on Mothers Day 15lbs filled the smoker about half full. What is the most poundage anyone has ever done?
5) Am I crazy for thinking I can smoke that much chicken in one day??

Really appreciate any feedback!

Wildcat

My advice would be to smoke for 1.5 to 2 hours with apple and transfer to house oven and simply bake it. The larger the load in the Bradley the longer it is going to take. Plus cooking at higher oven temps will greatly enhance the skin.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

rwelchjr91

Wildcat, thank you for the response. If an oven is not an option--do you think the Bradley would get the job done in 8 hours or less?

Wildcat

My guess would be yes but I really don't know. It has been several years since  I did chicken in the Bradley. Since it turns the skin to rubber unless you finish on a grill or something, I just do it all on a grill/smoker. I have a pellet unit and a charcoal/hard wood unit. Even when I did a chicken in the Bradley, it was only a small hen.

KyNola

I am several hours late to this party but your time of smoking and your temp of smoking is spot on.  If you need to hurry once they are smoked go to your grill or house oven to finish the cook.  Otherwise, let them ride.  Either way, they are going to be good! 

rwelchjr91

Thanks for the responses! One more question...what are your thoughts on fully loading each rack with meat? Can the single element keep up with that much meat if I have all day (say 8-10 hours)? Actually, I think I am just going to let it ride--worst case scenario the chicken has a good smoke flavor and I can finish them off on the grill. I am going to set up a 3ft round charcoal and I also have a 6 foot gas "party grill" that I will set up in case of emergency.
I was also thinking about deboning the chicken first--taking the bone out may speed up the cooking time?

I know it is a month away but I will follow up this post afterwards with results!

Wildcat

The Bradley does fine with heavy loads - it just takes a lot longer with it fully loaded. It is essentially an easy bake over. The heating element can only do so much. It will get the beast done - it is all a matter of when. As an example when I do a large butt for pulled pork I smoke/cook at around 210. At this temp it generally takes me around 16 to 20 hours. When I do 2 large butts at the same time, it takes around 20 to 30 hours. If you are going to do it all in the Bradley you may want to consider a brine for the bird to help keep it from drying out.

WoodlawnSmoker

I think your plan and timeline looks about right.  Wildcat has you covered, just give yourself lots of time, personally I think this is the beauty of smoking food during a party, lots of time for socializing and beverages.  It's easy to finish up chicken on the grill at the end if it's not quite there.

rwelchjr91

I really appreciate all of the responses. I am going to load it up around 7am and let her ride. If at 3-3:30 it is looking questionable, I will fire up the grills.

I was thinking about a brine--any recommendations for poultry? Let it soak over night or just for a few hours? I have yet to use a brine so I am as green as they come with that!

rwelchjr91

Also, I purchased that Bradley thermometer so I should be able to watch the temp increase pretty well without opening the door a lot. I only plan on opening the door to rotate racks.

Grouperman941

Actually, I wouldn't brine (though no doubt this works -- I am just generally happy without taking the extra time) or rotate the racks. I would stick the temp probe in the chicken where I think might be the hottest and then take them out as they finish. I think keeping the door shut is more important with poultry.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

Cook's Illustrated has a simple brine that will brine your chicken breast in an hour. If you like, you could add herbs and other seasoning to the brine.

2 qts. Water
1/2 C. Pickling salt or non-iodine table salt (about 5 oz.)

Brine chicken parts for 1 hour. CI recommends that you only brine up to 4 pounds for 2 qts. of brine. If you decide to bone them, only use 1/4 cup salt, and use the same brining time. Pat dry, and it you have time, and if you have time; let them air dry uncovered in the refrigerator until the skin becomes tacky.

I feel it is best to cook chicken breast with the bone in. It helps retain moisture and it adds flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rwelchjr91

Thanks for all the information! I think I have a good idea of how I am going to attack this now. It is a month away but I will make a post with pics after the party. I am feeling pretty confident.

Also, the Heineken keg and home brews will make everything better if all hell breaks loose!!