Did I kill my PID?

Started by tailfeathers, May 30, 2015, 11:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

I'll try to make this as simple as possible but I have multiple questions. I'm making a batch of jerky today, I put it in my smoker (6 rack digital with 900w element). I couldn't get any heat from the element, worked fine 2 weeks ago when I made polish sausage. I use a tube and pellets to generate smoke and finish my jerky in the dehydrator anyway, so I figured no big deal, I'll give it a couple hours of cold smoke then move to the dehydrator, which is where it is now. I control my smoker with a single Auber pid. After moving the jerky to dehydrate I got out a outlet tester and checked, I had power from the pid to the back of the tower but still no heat from the element. And yes I already did all the unplug, replug, wiggle this and that, etc. Here is where I had a stupid attack. I went to check to see if there was power getting to the element. I tried to touch the probes on the outlet tester to each of the posts on the opposite ends of the element but accidently made contact with the fins on the element with one of the tester probes. Big flash of sparks. Now my pid will not power up. And I'm no further ahead than I was as far as why I'm not getting any heat. I took the back cover off the tower, and I see where the red wire runs up to the heat sensor, through what looks like it could be an inline fuse, then back down to the heat element. Can anyone give me any advice? I'm hoping I didn't ruin the PID, are they internally fused in any way?
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

cathouse willy

There is a fuse in the on off switch on the back of the box that's accessable without any major dismantling.check that first

michsmoker

For the tower try running it directly into an outlet and see if you have heat. If no heat than could be the element, the inline fuse, the temp sensor ( you would need a meter to check both of these). Someone posted a while back on how many ohms for a 900 watt element, if you have a meter.
BS611 w/900w mod
Auber dual probe PID

michsmoker

Found the thread searched 900w ohm. It said a good 900w element should be 16 ohms.
BS611 w/900w mod
Auber dual probe PID

tailfeathers

Thanks for the replies. After looking closer at the back of the pid I saw where a fuse would go. I popped the little cover off and found not only the fuse was blown but a spare fuse as well. Installed the provided spare and the pid looks good to go. Whew!! Got a buddy coming over with an ohm meter to check the element and wiring in the back of the cabinet. Thanks for the help guys! I don't do the Facebook thing but still am of the opinion that this forum ROCKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tailfeathers

Update. The inline link up at the temp sensor was open. Right or wrong, we hard wired around it and everything seems to work just fine now.

michsmoker

I would definitely replace it especially with the bigger element. Can never be to call careful!
BS611 w/900w mod
Auber dual probe PID

tailfeathers

Just an update. Ordered a couple of new fuses from yard and pool and installed one, wasn't comfortable with the element hard wired. Tried to run auto tune on the pid but it would not cycle the element off, it was always powered even though the green "power out" light was off. Contacted Auber they said I had likely burned the SSR in the pid when I shorted it out. Shipped them the unit and they repaired it for me. Grand total was $18 for the repair and return shipping. Set everything up last night and ran auto tune again, she holds set temp within 1 degree. Thanks Auber for a great product and even better service!