Franklin Brisket

Started by Shuswap, June 02, 2015, 04:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuswap

I'm planning my first bisket using my 4 rack OBS.  Franklin uses an offset grill and for the ast few hours wraps the brisket in butcher paper.  I take it that is because he is using a wood fired grill and that the butcher paper wrap is unnecessary in the OBS.  Plse let me know if I'm wrong.

tskeeter

Shuswap, I'm not familiar with the technique you describe, but because I've watched entirely too many cooking shows over the last several years I think I can guess why the butcher paper is used.

I believe that the butcher paper is similar to cooking in parchment paper.  Basically, you are steaming the food in it's own juices, as well as any liquids you might have put in the parchment.  The steaming speeds the cooking process a bit and helps to keep the meat moist.

I'd be inclined to continue with Franklin's wrapping the brisket in butcher paper near the end of the cooking time.  If you'd like, I think a splash of beer, such as Chimay, on the brisket before you wrap it might be a good addition.

Shuswap

Aaron Franklin has a bbq restaurant in Austin TX where you can stand in line for four hours to get your order of brisket.  He has a series of how to videos on YouTube where he describes his technique.

Habanero Smoker

I think he has a few videos on smoking brisket. I believe the one you are referring to, he mentions a few reasons why one would wrap a brisket and when to wrap it. Although he generally doesn't wrap, he wrapped in butcher's paper for that video, and did mention you could use foil. With the Bradley you would not have to wrap to control the smoke flavor or protect the meat from creosote. Generally you won't have to wrap to control the color, when cooking in the Bradley. As mentioned my tskeeter, once you've added your smoke, and got the color you want, you may want to wrap to shorten the cooking time, and finish the meat by braising which may keep it more moist.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shuswap

Hab & tskeeter thanks for the replies - clearly there are a few reasons to wrap one being to prevent creasote from affecting the flavor, which Bradley has already taken care of by dumping the puck after 20 minutes :)

Jkwellborn

I'm pretty sure he has a book on it too.

watchdog56

Are you sure he means to cook it in butcher paper? A guy here at work just told me about using butcher paper as it is done cooking just like you would do when you FTC only use butcher paper instead of the foil.

Rodsmachineshop

I found the best thing to wrap meat in when cooking or smoking is Banana Leaves.  sorta hard to find unless you live in a big city . also have use wet corn husks to wrap meat in . leave a nice taste

Shuswap

Quote from: watchdog56 on June 11, 2015, 08:01:44 AM
Are you sure he means to cook it in butcher paper? A guy here at work just told me about using butcher paper as it is done cooking just like you would do when you FTC only use butcher paper instead of the foil.
I just found this searching Aaron Franklin butcher paper.  In an interview with Daniel Vaughn in 2013 for TMBBQ,  Aaron Franklin said of wrapping a brisket:  "I think foiled briskets end up a little pot-roasty for my taste, and the paper breathes a little better. If we were only doing five briskets then I would probably never wrap them, but when you've got that many cooking it's nice to get them off, throw them on the counter and let them rest. It's really there for protection, but an added side effect is that it helps retain moisture. "