Onions

Started by Gafala, June 07, 2015, 11:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gafala

Harvest  time is upon us, the Washington State,  Walla Walla Sweet Onion. Great for hamburgers, soup, you name it. I placed my order two weeks ago going to make some Sweet Onion Salt,  My Mr Coffee dehydrator  is not going to be big enough  for this so looking at the Cabala's line of  dehydrators.

Here is a link to where I buy mine.

https://www.locatifarms.com/store/
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

iceman

Love those onions. The Shriners bring a van load up to Alaska each spring and we always buy 25lbs. We dehydrate them too and grind them up to make all sorts of seasonings with the powder.

Gafala

I've got 50lbs on order.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

MrSlick

How are you processing them?  Large or small pieces?  Just grind up the finished product or something else?

Thanks,

iceman

I slice them up just under a 1/4" thick and dehydrate them until they can break apart. Then I cool them a bit and toss them in a coffee grinder and process them into a fine powder.
A few of them I mince up and spread out on cheese cloth and dry them to use in soups and stews.

Gafala

Quote from: iceman on June 15, 2015, 09:09:29 AM
I slice them up just under a 1/4" thick and dehydrate them until they can break apart. Then I cool them a bit and toss them in a coffee grinder and process them into a fine powder.
A few of them I mince up and spread out on cheese cloth and dry them to use in soups and stews.

I due the same but I use a bigger grinder, put some aside dried for soups and stews.
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"