Any nice Lake Trout recipes?

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, June 10, 2015, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Hey folks.  Does anyone have any good smoked lake trout recipes?  Could I use Kummok's salmon recipe for lake trout?

A buddy of mine gave me a whole, 4 or 5 pound lake trout and asked if I could smoke it.  He said if it came out well, he would supply me with all the lake trout I wanted for both of us.  I do realize lake trout is oilier than most but I'd love to come up with a good taste.  Also, I think I'd like to smoke it whole, any watch-outs?

Rodsmachineshop

i just use kosure salt and brown sugar when brining fish and smoke with alder or apple

tailfeathers

I've never smoked a laker but have used Kummok's recipe with great success on rainbows and even paddlefish. Can't imagine it wouldn't be fine on lake trout but I think I'd portion the fillets for evenness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Rodsmachineshop

i just got a recipe for smoking carp going to try this week

Habanero Smoker

For smoked trout I like using Boutch's Smoked Trout.

It comes out real good, though it can get a little on the salty side, if you brine too long. I do make adjustments in his brine times. For thick fillets; 3/4" and greater, I will brine about 10 -12 hours, for the thinner 1/2" or less I will brine 4 - 6 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pmmpete

I've smoked a lot of lake trout, and it turns out very nice.  Use any salmon recipe, such as Kummok's smoked wild Alaskan salmon recipe at the beginning of this "Fish" subforum.

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks guys for the suggestions and videos, they all sound good.  I went with Boutch's recipe this time, if I can get my fisherman friend convinced I'll try them all.  It's in the brine right now ready for some smoke tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

But I will say one thing, I need to learn how to filet and remove bones, I struggled for sure.  Oh well, looks ugly, tastes good.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on June 13, 2015, 03:33:24 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions and videos, they all sound good.  I went with Boutch's recipe this time, if I can get my fisherman friend convinced I'll try them all.  It's in the brine right now ready for some smoke tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

But I will say one thing, I need to learn how to filet and remove bones, I struggled for sure.  Oh well, looks ugly, tastes good.

I have a pair of fishbone tweezers that work very well for all of the salmon I smoke. I think I got them from Korin.  I bone after filleting and any that I miss will usually show up after the smoke and the meat has contracted some.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

piratey

After struggling with my first smoked salmon and its bones, I went to Harbor Freight and got a cheap pair of needle-nosed pliers with a bent nose.  Helps immensely.

WoodlawnSmoker

Yeah, the pliers I think will be a must for me.  Just to follow up, Boutch's trout recipe was excellent, really tasty, I'll do it again.  It was just a tad on the salty side for me so I will dial back the brine time a bit, but it was close.  I passed some around at work and no one else thought it was too salty, so maybe just me.  Of course the guys at work are like stray cats when it comes to smoked goodies.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on June 19, 2015, 02:47:45 PM
Of course the guys at work are like stray cats when it comes to smoked goodies.

Too funny!  ;D

I think you'll find the thickness of the fish will dictate the amount of time for brining. As you do it a few times you'll get it dialled in perfectly for your taste. Keep notes including the brine time and the thickness of the fish.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes