First Brisket Smoke Question

Started by LanduytG, June 12, 2015, 06:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

I have and 8 pound brisket in the frig rubbed with Jans Rub. I can't find how long you run the smoke for. Going to use pecan. Do you put the fat side up or down? Wife thinks up so the fat runs over the meat. Not sure about that so looking for opinions.

Thanks
Greg

GusRobin

I usually smoke for 4 hours. Should you do it fat side up or fat side down? Yes.  Meaning you will find recommendations for both so take your choice.
See this site for a number of brisket recipes and tips.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Which ever works best for you. Having said that; in the Bradley I always place the brisket fat side up, for the reason your wife suggested. The Bradley cabinet produces "gentle" heat form beneath the food. If I had a cooker that was producing a "harsher" heat form beneath, I may consider fat side down to better protect the meat from the "harsh" heat below the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

As an experiment for the future, instead of using a rub on brisket, try simply applying salt, pepper, and possiby onion powder, and garlic powder. IMHO these ingrediants enhance the natural flavor of beef.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LanduytG

Thanks all for the insight. Fat up it is and hope it turns out. Its not big only 8 pounds. Want to eat about 1p on Sunday so I was thinking of putting it in the Bradley around 2 or 3p this afternoon. You think that is to soon?

Thanks
Greg

KyNola

Quote from: LanduytG on June 13, 2015, 04:59:47 AM
Thanks all for the insight. Fat up it is and hope it turns out. Its not big only 8 pounds. Want to eat about 1p on Sunday so I was thinking of putting it in the Bradley around 2 or 3p this afternoon. You think that is to soon?

Thanks
Greg
If it should get done before you are planning to eat, wrap it in foil and then a large towel.  Place it in a dry cooler. The technique is known as FTC.  It will hold your brisket hot for hours.

LanduytG

Absolute success, 8 pound brisket devoured by 7 adults and 3 kids. For my first brisket I'm very please with how it turned out. Not much smoke flavor because I was having trouble getting the biscuits to smoke. I think they might have been damp. Hot plate seemed to be hot enough. Will investigate before another smoke. Anyone have any idea what the plate temp is suppose to be?

Thanks
Greg

Habanero Smoker

Glad to read you had a good cook.

I recently measured mine. I had the generator indoors, cleaned the burner plate, and let it preheat for at least 30 minutes. I used an IR thermometer to read the temperature. The temperature constantly fluctuated; mostly between 550°F - 555°F. Occasionally it would drop to 548°F, or spike as high as 560°F. If you are taking the temperature, make sure you take it from the middle of the burner plate, which seems to be the hottest point.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)