Has anyone tried Sausagemaker's Potato Sausage mix?

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, June 19, 2015, 02:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Just curious if anyone's tried it.  I've been wanting to try a potato sausage for awhile and as I needed to order a brine tester I thought I'd order some mix too.  I'm assuming it will be a fresh sausage mix, but even if it is I will add some cure and smoke some anyway.

Gafala

I have  used there Summer Sausage and it was great don't know about there potato sausage mix,
I would think it should be the same quality.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on June 19, 2015, 02:33:56 PM
Just curious if anyone's tried it.  I've been wanting to try a potato sausage for awhile and as I needed to order a brine tester I thought I'd order some mix too.  I'm assuming it will be a fresh sausage mix, but even if it is I will add some cure and smoke some anyway.

Swedish potato sausage has been our family's Christmas eve dinner for many generations. I can post the recipe if youd like.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

cobra6223

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on June 20, 2015, 07:23:28 AM
Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on June 19, 2015, 02:33:56 PM

Swedish potato sausage has been our family's Christmas eve dinner for many generations. I can post the recipe if youd like.

Oh yes please, post your recipe.  The Sausagemaker mix is on its way and I will try it, but it would be nice to get a real recipe.  Do you boil, steam or bake yours?

Salmonsmoker

Swedish Potato Sausage              ( approx. 15 lbs. total with the water added)

4 lbs. lean pork
4 lbs. lean beef
4 lbs. potatoes
1 1/2 qts. water
1 bottle minced onion (2 1/2 oz.)
3 T salt
1 T white pepper
1 T allspice

( T = Tablespoon)

Grind pork and beef together 2 times
Grind pork, beef and cut up potatoes one time together
Mix in remaining ingredients and water until thoroughly combined.
Stuff in medium casings.
You may have to play with the amount of water a bit depending on water content of the potatoes,  to get the consistency you want. I usually end up adding about a cup more of H2O so the sausage isn't too dry when cooked.
Sausage can be frozen cooked or stored in a refrigerated salt water brine until used.
When storing in brine, I use a container big enough to hold the sausage and keep it submerged in the brine using 3T of salt with enough H2O to cover. The salt/H2O concentration is about the same as the recipe. With too strong of a brine,  salt will tranfer to the sausage via osmosis.
It will hold this way for a week which works for us as this is Christmas eve and New Years eve dinner.

* This is a fresh sausage recipe. If you're going to smoke, use the proper amount of Cure #1.

Woodlawn, It never occurred to me to try this as a smoked sausage. If you do smoke some, post your results and observations.

Cheers!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.