Tasty smoked kokanee

Started by pmmpete, June 23, 2015, 11:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmmpete

On Sunday I went fishing on the Helena Valley Regulating Reservoir near Helena, Montana, and caught ten kokanee between 13.5 and 16 inches long.  On any other lake in Montana, the smallest kokanee I caught would be an amazing lunker, but by the end of the summer I should be catching even bigger kokanee on the Regulating Reservoir.  (I keep the fish on ice in a cooler while fishing, but put them on a stringer and gutted them before leaving the lake and heading home).

I smoked some of them, using a modified version of the Sweet Teriyaki recipe from the Haugens' book on Smoking Salmon and Steelhead.  They came out very tasty. 

I froze the rest for cooking, which may seem like a waste of perfectly good fish to die-hard smokers, but kokanee is also great cooked.

Wildcat

Have you tried freezing fish in water vice vac seal? I have had less issues with freezer burn and better fresh taste by freezing in water. Especially for long term storage.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

pmmpete

Quote from: Wildcat on June 24, 2015, 07:32:15 AM
Have you tried freezing fish in water vice vac seal? I have had less issues with freezer burn and better fresh taste by freezing in water. Especially for long term storage.
I used to freeze fish for cooking in water in the manner which I described in a posting at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=15240.0 .  This turned into a long and pretty interesting thread, which persuaded me to try vacuum packing fish before I freeze them for cooking.  After I try vacuum packing for a year or so, I'll decide whether to stick with it or go back to freezing fish in water.

However, I never froze smoked fish in water, because that would re-hydrate it and dissolve out the salt.  I've always vacuum packed my smoked fish.

Gafala

When I do fish, bacon, sausage just before vacuum sealing the bag I will add two or three Oxygen Absorbers packs this helps with shelf life cuts down on freezer burn just me.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712