First Smoke - Updated with pictures

Started by cor88b, June 25, 2015, 01:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cor88b

I just got the new original Bradley smoker form Cabelas and im wanting to do a pulled pork as my first smoke.  I just was wondering, is there any difference in doing the 4 hours of smoke recommended then cooking it the rest of the way in a preheated oven set to the same temp?  Is there any difference to doing this?

michsmoker

I do it all the time. Some people like to wrap in foil or put it in a foil pan and cover it with foil. I just put mine on a rack in a pan and cook. I cook at 225*F to an IT OF 200*. I like a nice crispy bark.
BS611 w/900w mod
Auber dual probe PID

Toker

First, welcome aboard :) As far as your question, a smoker without smoke is nothing else than an a big oven. So, no no difference. Go ahead and enjoy!!

cor88b

Thank you guys for the quick answers!  Very interesting, kind of like the idea of just having to worry about my oven instead of the smoker.  I will have to try it out.  Thank you!

cor88b

Sorry to throw another question on top.  Am I right in reading that usually 4 hours of smoke is the maximum that will add flavor?

Toker

The reason is that meat does not absorb smoke more than at an internal temperature of 140F. More than this, it does not get inside the meat.

Habanero Smoker

Hi cor88b;

Welcome to the forum.

I feel there is a difference in the taste of the final product; but either way you get some great pork. I like to leave mine in the Bradley for the duration of the cook; unwrapped. Even though you are not applying smoke, the drippings from the pork vaporize and provide additional flavor. Similar to when you are grilling and the dripping from the meat hit the coals or flavor bars.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

meyer lemon

Welcome to this forum and the wonderful world of smoke.
I agree with Habanero and leave it in the smoker...tasty bark!

cor88b

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 26, 2015, 01:43:28 AM
Hi cor88b;

Welcome to the forum.

I feel there is a difference in the taste of the final product; but either way you get some great pork. I like to leave mine in the Bradley for the duration of the cook; unwrapped. Even though you are not applying smoke, the drippings from the pork vaporize and provide additional flavor. Similar to when you are grilling and the dripping from the meat hit the coals or flavor bars.
That makes sense. I may just have to try a few out and see how big of a difference it is.

Thanks guys

tailfeathers

I'm also in the "leave it in the smoker" camp. When I do pulled pork (and brisket) I cook at a lower temp than most. I cook at 205F with smoke for the first four hours or so. I usually leave it in overnight and that way I sleep through the stall. I use a maverick thermometer to monitor cabinet and meat temps and set the alarms so if the cabinet exceeds 235F or the meat exceeds 195F I get awakened. I find that cooking at this lower temp the butt will usually pass a fork test by about 180-185 instead of the more normal 195. I think this has to do with the longer length of time the meat is in the temperture zone where the collagen dissolves and the magic happens. I would recommend that you always use the fork test to determine whether a butt (or brisket for that matter) is ready. Inset a two tined meat fork and twist. If you get much resistance, keep cooking. If it twists easily you are good to go.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

cor88b

Good advice.  I guess the desire to cook in the oven for me is that i dont have a PID like some so i dont know yet how good I will be at keeping temp.

tskeeter

Cor88b, pork shoulder is very tolerant of temperature swings, as are most other foods.  Many Bradley owners never invest in a PID. 

The Bradley is subject to temperature swings as much as +/- 20F from your set point, but that's no problem for pork shoulder.  These swings are largest when meat first goes into the smoker and get smaller as the meat cooks.

The foods that benefit from the tight temperature control available with PID are fish, sausage, and, maybe, cheese.  (Since you're not cooking cheese, you can keep the temp below the melting point of the cheese by using a lower set point, or by using a cold smoke attachment of some kind.)   

tailfeathers

Quote from: tskeeter on June 26, 2015, 02:17:26 PM
Cor88b, pork shoulder is very tolerant of temperature swings, as are most other foods.  Many Bradley owners never invest in a PID. 

The Bradley is subject to temperature swings as much as +/- 20F from your set point, but that's no problem for pork shoulder.  These swings are largest when meat first goes into the smoker and get smaller as the meat cooks.

The foods that benefit from the tight temperature control available with PID are fish, sausage, and, maybe, cheese.  (Since you're not cooking cheese, you can keep the temp below the melting point of the cheese by using a lower set point, or by using a cold smoke attachment of some kind.) x2. butt is very forgiving on temp swings and you certainly don't need the tight temp control that a pid provides. you will probably finding yourself wanting one if you venture into fish, sausage, etc but for general smoking you will do just fine without one.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

cor88b

Thanks for the information.  I dont see myself every smoking fish, not a huge fan so hopefully I will be fine with what i have.  Thank you!

Wildcat

Quote from: tailfeathers on June 26, 2015, 11:56:20 AM
I'm also in the "leave it in the smoker" camp. When I do pulled pork (and brisket) I cook at a lower temp than most. I cook at 205F with smoke for the first four hours or so. I usually leave it in overnight and that way I sleep through the stall. I use a maverick thermometer to monitor cabinet and meat temps and set the alarms so if the cabinet exceeds 235F or the meat exceeds 195F I get awakened. I find that cooking at this lower temp the butt will usually pass a fork test by about 180-185 instead of the more normal 195. I think this has to do with the longer length of time the meat is in the temperture zone where the collagen dissolves and the magic happens. I would recommend that you always use the fork test to determine whether a butt (or brisket for that matter) is ready. Inset a two tined meat fork and twist. If you get much resistance, keep cooking. If it twists easily you are good to go.

Exactly. This is how I do it.

Not only are butts tolerent of temp swings, I think they actually prefer it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/