First Smoke - Updated with pictures

Started by cor88b, June 25, 2015, 01:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

getting 2- 9 pounders  ready to put in the smoker tomorrow morning. I do mine at 205 also and fork test  so far so good its works for me.

Wildcat

IMHO ftc not needed for low and slow butt but you can to keep it hot untill dinner time. I do, however, recommend letting it rest loosely covered with foil to allow the juices to redistribute until cool enough to pull without blistering your fingers.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tailfeathers

Quote from: cor88b on July 01, 2015, 02:58:36 PM
Quote from: tailfeathers on July 01, 2015, 12:04:20 PM
I cook butts at 205 until it passes the fork test then ftc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any sort of idea of the temperature you usually pull at?
somewhere between high 170s and mid 180s usually but I rely on the fork test to determine when it is ready, not IT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

cor88b

Would you guys brush mustard on the shoulder before covering it in the jans or do you think it was fine?  Whats the benefit?

manfromplaid

mustard does not add any flavor its used to help the rub stick

Wildcat

I use EVOO most of the time. Sometimes mustard. There is a slight taste difference but not a lot. I finally got around to using Jan's rub. Great rub but for my taste better on birds. I prefer to use Iceman's Oinker rub on butts and Oinker rub with a little less spice heat for ribs.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TedEbear

Quote from: cor88b on July 02, 2015, 02:42:22 PM
Would you guys brush mustard on the shoulder before covering it in the jans or do you think it was fine?  Whats the benefit?

You could try molasses for a more pronounced bark.  Peel the bark off after it has finished cooking and then chop it up and add back to the pulled pork.  I use a Roman Pork Puller. It takes maybe 30 seconds to shred a butt.

cor88b

Quote from: TedEbear on July 03, 2015, 07:04:26 PM
Quote from: cor88b on July 02, 2015, 02:42:22 PM

You could try molasses for a more pronounced bark.  Peel the bark off after it has finished cooking and then chop it up and add back to the pulled pork.  I use a Roman Pork Puller. It takes maybe 30 seconds to shred a butt.

I never thought about peeling the bark off first.  I will try that next time.

Pachanga

Ditto or Tritto or Quatro to the leave it in the Bradley camp.  Finsih it like a pro.

The Bradley is a close cousin to the big iron vertical smokers many Texas Barbeque joints use but in a small footprint.  It replicates many of the features an old friend of mine once used in his regionally famous joint.  Once I had that epiphany, everything else fell into place for this little miracle of a smoker. 

Leave it in the Bradley and enjoy the outcome.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga