How Long To Cold Smoke Salami.

Started by Divey, June 28, 2015, 07:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divey

I made some Salami just last Wednesday and the recipe I followed said to smoke them on the fourth or fifth day of curing.

How long do you think I should smoke them for ??? At the moment, I've set the smoker up to smoke for two hours. Do you think this will be enough ???

The Salamis are about 43mm in diameter if that helps.

tskeeter

Given the diameter, a couple of hours sounds in the ball park.  If it's not exactly in line with your tastes, you can adjust from there.

Habanero Smoker

Your smoke times sound alright. When I make dry cured sausage, I would apply the smoke during the fermentation stage, and would add 1:40 hours of smoke. But during that time with the extra moisture in the cabinet, the sausage would pickup more smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Divey

Thanks folks. Geeez, I'm having a slight problem with this cold smoking caper. The Smoke Generator is dumping the bisquettes into the water bowl before they a fully burnt. I have checked the voltage at the end of the extension lead and all is okay. And, they are being dumped at the 20 minute mark. I'm very confused.

Habanero Smoker

Often when I use a cold smoke setup, my bisquettes will look very similar to yours; though I've never had one look like the bisquette in the lower left. The colder the ambient temperature, the less burn I would get.  I think when the generator is setup as its normal position, the heating element inside the cabinet assists the bisquette to burn more completely.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

50bmg_de

Hi Divey,
Salami is a very special theme. Do you take starter cultures to your sausage meat? This will reduce the PH value and safes your result through producing lactobacillus at the start of maturation.
Normally you smoke it three or four times. Everytime 6 hours of smoke and 4 hours outside the smoker for ventilation.

Good luck
For the world you're somebody but for somebody you're the world