Fourth of July 2015, Beresford Radio Control Big Bird fly-in.

Started by JohnM70, July 07, 2015, 04:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

For the last 3 years I have prepared pulled pork for our fly in. In one of my last threads I posted about the "Family Horde".  I have 2 PB's total weight 18+ lbs. I decided to smoke them on 7/1 interestingly enough they only took 18.5 hours to come to 195 F IT. One of the butts was about 10lbs and the other 8lbs. The oven temp was set to 220 F.
We used our standard rub a modified Jan's rub. Don't ask me what the modification are the Warden is in charge of that task. I did a total of 3 hours of smoke. Two hours of Pecan and one hour of Oak. The oak was fed in starting with hour 2.  Of course the butts were prep with CYM which we like better than molasses. Although we have not abandoned the molasses it will be part of our preparation.     
Interestingly the larger butt reached an IT of 145 F in about 6 hours. I figured I had found a fat pocket so I checked with my instant read thermometer and surprisingly the butt was close to that temp all over. I reduced the oven temp to 210 F. the smaller butt was ok at about 125F.
At about 04:00 the large butt had reached 190F and the smaller one was at 185F. I decided to wait and see how the fast the smaller one would catch up.  Well about 06:00 the smaller one reached 190F and the big guy was at 200F. Time to FTC and go back to sleep. 
Well when we pulled the butts it was understandable why the larger went so fast (in my estimation). It was well marbled and it was soooo good! We have never had a butts come out as moist as these. I did not trim the fat cap. Just a little off the side.
I forgot the weather was very nice and no wind. Now for the statistics I started with 18lbs+ a little. The bones weighted in at 1.2lbs and the final weight of both butts was 10.5 lbs. There was a little less than a pound left.

Apprentice Chef

Looking good.

Ready for the pull

Now I know why they lost so much weight. I missed the puck when I changed the water.

My Baby--Stinson L5 1/3 scale
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

tailfeathers

Hi from a fellow Sioux Falls citizen. Looks like you had a great 4th! I'll have to drive down to Beresford sometime and check out the fly-in. Is there still a place where you can fly radio controls out on highway 11? I used to watch out there sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

JohnM70

The field on Hwy 11 closed. There are 3 more in SF. Sodbusters is about 5 miles on Russel going west from 29. Dakota Flyers is east on E Benson RD (from 229) take the first right on to N Hall Ave (gravel rd) about a 1/2 mile the road turns west. There are 2 drive ways take the second one. If there is a rope across the drive way no one is flying. I have not been to the 3rd field but I believe it is North on 476.   
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"