Smoking Canadian Bacon Question

Started by Captainslug, July 09, 2015, 08:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captainslug

I currently have 28 lbs. of Canadian Bacon curing in my fridge and I am using a dry maple rub for a cure.  I have been reading over the items here about Maple bacon and have read a couple of instances of people brushing on a coating of Maple syrup after rinsing the loin just prior to putting them into the smoker. 

Now my question is: Would the brushed on maple syrup create a barrier which would inhibit the smoke entering the meat?  I hope there are people out there that have some experience with this technique and tell me of their results.

Also, has any one who has used this technique put maple sugar on the loin after the maple syrup and what was the result?

I only have put them in two days ago so I have a bit of time to make my decision depending on responses to the above.

Thanks to all who respond! :)
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

tailfeathers

I use mallardwhacker's recipe from the web site. Maple cure for 21 days, adding maple syrup after 3 days in the cure. Then rinse well and soak 2 hours in fresh water. Dry with an old towel, coat with maple syrup and let rest 1 hr before smoking. I've not coated them with sugar before but I can tell you that I tried this recipe the first time I made CB and never tried any others because this comes out perfect every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Captainslug

Do you get good smoke penetration through the maple syrup?
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

MallardWacker

I my attempt to get a good maple flavoring....after coating it with maple syrup I have then coated it with maple graduated sugar.

Just a note, get the lower grade DARK maple syrup.

ALL that being said you will not have ANY problem with smoke penetration.  To me anyway....you want that maple (or what ever flavor) to marry with the smoke.  It's way easy to get too much.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Captainslug

What is the difference between using the dark and light maple syrup?

MallardWacker

It will have a more intense "maple" flavor to it PLUS it's cheaper.

Don't ask me what it is, to me it's dumb.  I'm thinking mo flavor mo dark means better quality, well those Yankees didn't ask me.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

I apply my maple syrup when the loins get to around 130°F - 135°F, then apply a second light coat as soon as I take them out of the smoker, and let them rest uncovered.

You can also use infused syrups to coat the loins. I've been using infused honey and maple syrup for several years with great results. Just google either "infused maple syrup" or "infused honey". It is a very easy process.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Captainslug

Thanks Habs!  I think Im going to do that too!

I'm going to add my maple syrup either on sat or sun (started on tues), flip once a day, then (assuming they've firmed up enough) smoke them two weeks later. I'll rinse them for 2-3 hours.  let them dry for an hour. smoke them for 2hrs, coat them with syrup, let them hit 150f IT then take them out, coat them again with syrup then let them rest till they are cool. 

Now another question.  Should I slice them then once they are cool or refrigerate them for a day and then slice them?

Sheesh! Going to end up with 12 huge Maple flavoured lollipops with bacon centers!!!  Kinda like glazed ham!

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

tailfeathers

I usually shut down the smoker once they reach IT, leave them in there for an hour or so, then take them out and once they cool a little more wrap them in Saran Wrap and refrigerate overnight. Slice and vacuum seal the next day.

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Gafala

Quote from: tailfeathers on July 09, 2015, 07:17:23 PM
I usually shut down the smoker once they reach IT, leave them in there for an hour or so, then take them out and once they cool a little more wrap them in Saran Wrap and refrigerate overnight. Slice and vacuum seal the next day.

I do the same here Tailfeathers thats about the right amount of resting time.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Captainslug

That sounds great but with 12 pieces I don't have any idea how all of them could ever finish at the same time.  That's just impossible.   I remove as they hit my desired IT. 

Habanero Smoker

I take them out as soon as they reach 140°F, and allow them to rest at room temperature. I don't like them going much over 140°F. When cool, I wrap them in plastic wrap then foil, and let them "age" for at least two days. I mainly slice most of the bacon, but will also keep a few thicker pieces weighing around 4 - 6 ounces each, in case I want to add to beans, salads etc. For the slices I use the FoodSaver portion/pouch, and also package them in 4 - 6 ounce portions, that way I'm not thawing more bacon than I need. The down side of this it that is uses a lot of bags.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Captainslug

I do almost the exact same as you, Habs.