My First Brisket

Started by Shuswap, July 20, 2015, 06:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuswap

My first brisket was done in 2 phases because it was being served 2 days after smoking in a different location.  I followed Aaron Franklin.  Phase 1 was completed with a 5 hour hickory smoke and IT of 160F.  It was spritzed with apple juice and wrapped in foil.  After reaching room temperature it went into the fridge overnight.  Next day it traveled in a cooler and was refrigerated overnight at our daughter's.  Next morning it was finished in the bbq to 195-205F and then FTC'd for dinner.  I couldn't achieve a constant temp of 250F in the bbq.   The brisket was triple foiled and once it got going reached 230IT to my dismay.  Oops I only wanted 205IT..  It was FTC'd untin 6pm when it was unwrapped and holding an IT of  133F.  Disappointment in dryness but not in flavor.  On slicing Aaron is right - if you can slice it thinner than a pencil, it is overdone. Children and adults alike gave it a pass at Very Good so I was able to breath easy and plan to do better next time!

Turok

That's about how my first one turned out. A bit dry, but still tasted good. Really liked it with slaw and bbq sauce on a bun.

I learned a bit from the first one and will try again later.

Shuswap

Turok, I'm like you, have to wait for another big gathering for the next one.  Must say that after the big meal and several sandwhiches later there is none left :)

tskeeter

I don't wait for a big group.  I just put what's left in vac bags, run it through the FoodSaver, and throw it in the freezer.  With just the two of us, 16 pounds of pork shoulder makes for a lot of leftovers.  But most smoked food freezes really well.  We find it very convenient to pull a one pound package of pulled pork out of the freezer, let it defrost over night in the fridge,  drop it a pot of hot water, and be eating pulled pork sandwiches half an hour later.

Having a freezer full of pulled pork, smoked salmon, kielbasa, summer sausage, smoked turkey breast, Canadian bacon, and ribs makes getting meals together after work less of a hassle.  Smoke on weekends and eat for weeks.   

Turok

I had a few issues the first go round, but managed to find a place the next town over that sells fresh brisket. I'll be doing one up tomorrow at my parents place. Lots of people to eat it here if it doesn't work out too well. Again.

Got the rub on it and it's resting in the fridge as I type this.

Neil