suckling pig

Started by gordbartel, July 20, 2015, 09:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordbartel

any suggestions on how to cure and smoke whole 25 LB suckling pig. I intend to leave skin on and would hope to have at least one of them fully cooked and ready to eat at completion, the others would go in the freezer for future hog roasts. My smoker is only capable of 210 F. As curing is new to me, I am wondering about brine recipes (plain or flavored?) brining times and smoking time/temp.

Habanero Smoker

I can't help you with smoke/roasting a whole suckling.

As for curing, it would be best to butcher the pig and cure each cut differently. The shoulder and picnic, makes good "bacon" or "ham", along with the belly. The loin is good for Canadian bacon, and the ham of course is good for cured ham. If or when you get ready to cure those parts, you should make individual posts. I don't like cured ribs. Some say it tastes like bacon on a stick, I say they are more like "hamsicles".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gordbartel

I understand what you are saying, however, I have had them done commerically and they turned out very well. There is nothing like the presentation of a whole pig with an apple in its mouth. my smoker is large enough to do 4 whole pigs or more on all fours on screens. The only downside to the commercial ones was the bellies were over cured. We enjoyed the ribs, the meat is all super tender on these young'uns.

Habanero Smoker

I'm sure there are plenty of videos on how to do that on YouTube. Give that a search. Or do a search on google for "how to cure a whole pig". Emeril has a salt cured recipe (more like a dry brine), on the FoodNetwork.
Curing a Whole Pig

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)