Heating Element doesn't work

Started by Jesse1672, July 20, 2015, 05:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse1672

I changed my heating element and it still doesn't work.  Is there a way to change all of wiring in the back of the 4 rack electric smoker.  I have juice coming into the unit but I think one of the lines to the heating element is bad.  Can I order all of the new wiring?

Habanero Smoker

Yes, you can purchase high temperature wire. Sometimes appliance stores will sell it to you, but in my area they won't; siting liability issues. Occasionally an electrical supply store may carry it. I got mine from Allied Kenco.

If the element is bad, the pilot light on the face plate will work, even if the element is bad. If you have a multimeter you can check the old and the new element to see if they were good. A good element will give you a reading between 27 - 32 ohms.  If the new one and/or the old one is good, your problem may be the inline fuse.

If you were just changing the element, and haven't started making any changes converting your original to digital, sometimes if you pull the old element out too far, the wires to the plug can come disconnected or loose. Take the back panel off, and check those connections.

Also check the connections at the element to make sure they are snug.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)