First time Bradley user

Started by rockyram, July 17, 2015, 09:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockyram

First time BDS user here in Delta B.C. ,home of Bradley Smokers. Just got my BDS 4 rack and will do my first smoke today. I'm going to try some chicken wings, corn on the cob and almonds. Is it OK to do those at the same time? I would put the wings on the bottom rack, corn in the middle and almonds on top. This forum is great! I've read a lot and learned a lot. Thanks.

tskeeter

I know that forum members often do as you are planning, so I would go for it.

Just a suggestion on your chicken wings.  Due to the low temperatures that a Bradley operates at, poultry skin will not get crispy.  It turns kind of rubbery because the fat doesn't render out well at low temps.  What folks generally do is finish off products like chicken wings on the grill or in the oven using a heat level that is high enough to render the fat and crisp the skin.

Grouperman941

The only problem you might run into when combining things would be if one is dripping on the other. Your plan sounds ok to me. I wouldn't even mind the chicken fat dripping on the corn. But I am weird. Welcome.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Smoker John

Welcome, sounds like a good plan to me.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

rockyram

Thanks. I planned on finishing the wings on the grill to crisp them up. I also made some pucks out of 1/2 plywood wrapped in tinfoil. I was hoping they would suffice as Bubba Pucks.

tskeeter

I'm wondering if the wood in the lead puck would get hot enough to start to smolder and release adhesive fumes?  In my smoker, I find that the puck on the puck burner will smoke and the puck in the next position on the in-feed tray will also get hot enough to start to smoke.

The up side is that one forum member reported making bubba pucks from crushed tinfoil pressed into the appropriate diameter and thickness.  It seemed that they functioned just fine for him.   

Aschenbrenner

Plywood Bubba Pucks are a huge invitation to start a fire in your Bradley - IMHO.  I use the authentic Aluminum Bubba pucks and they get extremely hot as they shoulder up against a burning bisquette.  :(
Calgary

Cookshack PG1000 pellet smoker :)
Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis

rockyram

Yeah, I don't think I'll use the plywood pucks. I'll look for the real deal on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockyram

With the first smoke done it turned out OK. I had 2 hours of smoke for the corn and almonds and an additional hour of cook for the wings. The almonds turned out good, a little more seasoning would have helped. The corn was very good but could have come out 30 minutes earlier. The wings were pre seasoned from Costco.   Next time I would like to try a rub instead. They could have come off 30 minutes earlier as well. The skin wasn't rubbery but not quite crispy. If I put them on the grill they would have been overdone. All in all it was a learning smoke and I think the next one will be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aschenbrenner

Congratulations on your first edible smoking experience!
And each time, it just gets better than the last.  We've always been able to eat my mistakes!🍛🍖🍔🍗
Calgary

Cookshack PG1000 pellet smoker :)
Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis