pork ribs jerky pics 7/23/15

Started by bullsfury81, July 24, 2015, 10:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullsfury81

Pork ribs w/ CYM and rufus rub (store bought) @ 220 (roughly) for 6 hours. Pulled at 195 degrees. Smoke (assorted pucks) 3 hours. Skipped the 3-2-1 method. I had to FTC for a couple hours (finished quicker than expected). I might have lost some crunch in bark. MEat didn't truly pull away from bone but the tenderness was right there. Much better than last batch. Served dry. Pic was remaining ribs we didn't engorge.

Jerky was about 5 lbs. SMoked for 160 minutes and totaled 7 hours. I had to finish off in dehydrator for an hour on some pieces because I think they were too close together and couldn't "breathe" fan might've helped but better spacing next time. Also smoked some nuggets and used a tephlon (I think) steel tray I bent to fit in smoker. Temps were struggling when on bottom rack and eventually moved to top and dropped hanging jerky down a rack. Temps were fine after that. PErhaps the steel absorbs too much of the heat? Not sure. tasted great. LEss smoke next time. Overpowered the sweetness of recipe I usually get out of dehydrator. Here's my recipe I have adjusted slightly from a site I found online:
2 cups worchestire
1 1/2 cup teriyaki
1 cup soy
4 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne
4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp sea salt
1 1/4 tbsp red pepper
4 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 tbsp mortons quick cure
5 lbs top round
Not sure about right amount of cure but it seems to work and plenty of salt with soy, worchestire, etc... dehydrator method calls for 3 tsp liquid smoke but I usually use 2. I pulled the water tray after the smoke.

UNKYFUNKY

Looks Awesome, Gonna save that recipe!
Bradley original smoker with Auber P.I.D. controler

piratey

few questions about the jerky portion,

1/2 tbsp of cure total for 5 lbs of meat? or per pound?  1/2 tbsp is really really low for 5 pounds.

What were the temperatures you smoked and dried at?

bullsfury81

The more I read, the more I see how off it is. Original recipe didn't call for any. I just put in 1/2 tbsp in for whole recipe just because. I did smoker at 150s. Typically, in dehydrator I dehydrate with temp around 150 also. I know this keeps it above the danger range but didn't know where the line gets drawn and if or at what point does a 24+ hour marinade process eliminate the need of a cure. I need to spend some more time researching the theory of the cure.

Habanero Smoker

I always state, that if it is safe, do what makes you feel most comfortable. When I make whole muscle jerky I rarely use sodium nitrite. You can cure with only salt, and if there is enough salt you don't need to use a TQ or cure #1. I don't know what brand of soy and teriyaki you used, or their sodium levels; if you didn't use the low sodium brands, and with the additional sea salt you should have enough salt in your marinade to make it safe. The low amount of Tender Quick can be helpful. It may give the interior of the jerky a rosy color. Adding more TQ; up to the maximum amount, does change the taste of the jerky, giving it a flavor leaning towards "ham like". Some may say "bacon like". Also if you increase the amount of TQ, you should eliminate the amount of sea salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mwilliams7967

Just did the same exact thing last night. I used the cabelas jerky juice for the first time (wild fire chipotle). I added 1 tsp into the bottle as I was smoking 5 lbs of jerky. The results were delicious! And if anyone is wondering, cabelas jerky juice seemed to work nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullsfury81

I noticed the color did have a change when I started using the quick cure. Before I used the quick I didn't use the low sodium soy or worchester. I wanted to try the cure and went with the low sodium for both. I've always been iffy about it not knowing the science behind it but i'm not one to shy away from potential risks. When working out was a high priority in my life, I would consume about a half dozen raw eggs a day in shakes (no yolk, too much cholesterol  ;D ). Fun fact: A large egg has 7 grams of protein and pushes over 100 calories. Just the egg white has 5 grams protein and only 28 calories. Pure albumin! Anyways...I also would consume a healthy dinner full of jerky prior to dispersing among my friends and family just in case... Thanks for the feedback guys!