Cold smoke

Started by ghosttown, August 01, 2015, 06:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

I made my own cold smoke enclosure out of plywood and it works great however I have a question. I used 4 inch aluminum piping and I have it running into the main bradley unit all the way to the middle. Doing it this way I can't fit the aluminum tray of water as the piping is in the way. Yes I replaced the water bowl with a tray instead. My question is do I need to run the piping to the middle of the smoker to even out the smoke inside? Or can I just run it to the insert?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Saber 4

I think you would be fine if the piping isn't all the way to the middle, the smoke should fill the entire chamber with no problem. The factory cold smoke adapter doesn't pipe into the middle of the cabinet.

Jim O

My pipe just goes inside about 1 in. and it works just fine.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

waycoolcat

I have the Bradley factory cold smoke adapter, as you know it clips to the pins on the outside stopping at the cabinet wall. I've opened the door on cold smokes and believe me the entire cabinet is full of swirling smoke.
I want to be a better carnivore!

ghosttown

Quote from: Jim O on August 02, 2015, 04:52:48 AM
My pipe just goes inside about 1 in. and it works just fine.
Perfect what did you do to seal the outside, I can use the aluminum tape but don't want it use it in case I need to pull the pipe out. 

Jim O

I used flex tubing ie: dryer vent tubing, so I didn't need a 90 deg elbow. I just duct taped the tubing where it exits the cold smoke box.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

ghosttown

I mean the opening around the whole for the smoker,  did you just tape that also

GusRobin

You don't need to put the pipe thru the opening. If you look at the Bradley cold smoke box you will see that it has a flat piece that connects to the side of the cabinet. I am not sure if I used the one from the Bradley smoker or ordered that piece from Bradley. But I used metal flex hose and connected it to the flange on the piece. The flex hose gives you more flexibility (no pun intended) if you need to move your box around.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Jim O

I don't use any tape around the hole where the flex pipe fits into the smoker. The amount of smoke you loose is minimal. Another alternative is getting the flange,as explained by GusRobin.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

KyNola

Quote from: Jim O on August 03, 2015, 05:38:37 AM
I don't use any tape around the hole where the flex pipe fits into the smoker. The amount of smoke you loose is minimal. Another alternative is getting the flange,as explained by GusRobin.
Ditto.

piratey

I don't use any tape there either.  There is so much smoke doing into the smoker cabinet that it doesn't matter.  As long as the vent is open and you have a nice updraft going, you don't have to worry about smoke coming out of the wrong end.

Rob_Sic

Hi, I am very new to this cold smoker attachment but I think it might be exactly what I am looking for. 

I want to cold smoke some beef jerky (actually any kind of jerky) and I was thinking of building a smoke house with an offset firebox.  The designed that I've seen normally use a 4'-7' tub to connect the firebox to the cooking chamber.  I was wondering if I could use this Bradley cold smoker attachment on any plywood cabinet?  Is there a limit on the size of the cooking chamber for this cold smokers?  Does Bradley make different size cold smoker attachments? 

All help is greatly appreciated.  i hope to hear back.

Be well.

piratey

Hi Rob, look into a mailbox mod.  There are threads that will give you a good idea of what you need.  It works well if you plan to use the amaze-n tube instead of bradley briquettes.

tskeeter

Quote from: Rob_Sic on August 05, 2015, 11:28:07 AM
Hi, I am very new to this cold smoker attachment but I think it might be exactly what I am looking for. 

I want to cold smoke some beef jerky (actually any kind of jerky) and I was thinking of building a smoke house with an offset firebox.  The designed that I've seen normally use a 4'-7' tub to connect the firebox to the cooking chamber.  I was wondering if I could use this Bradley cold smoker attachment on any plywood cabinet?  Is there a limit on the size of the cooking chamber for this cold smokers?  Does Bradley make different size cold smoker attachments? 

Be well.

Rob, Bradley used to have a DIY smoke house plan on it's website for use with the Bradley smoke generator.  If I remember right, the smoke house was three feet square and six feet high, or 54 cubic feet.  That would probably be a good size to use as a benchmark for a maximum smoking/cooking chamber size . 

Since the cold smoke attachment is only used to move the heat from the smoke generator away from the smoking chamber, I don't believe the size of the cold smoking attachment would make any significant difference.  Several forum members have made DIY cold smoke attachments in a variety of materials and sizes that seem to work just fine.  If a person were to find that their smoke house was running warmer than they want, the solution would be to move the smoke generator farther away from the smoke chamber, to give the smokey air more time to cool before it enters the smoke chamber.  Or, put ice in either the cold smoke attachment or the smoke chamber to cool things down.  One thing to consider about the Bradley cold smoke attachment is that since it is made out of metal, it probably gives up heat more readily than some other materials, such as wood.  As a result, a person might have to place some DIY cold smoke attachments further from the smoke chamber than they would a Bradley cold smoke attachment.   

Grouperman941

Quote from: Rob_Sic on August 05, 2015, 11:28:07 AM

Be well.

If you already have a Bradley smoke generator, then the cold smoke attachment will do what you are asking. It is basically a box made to connect to the generator to keep heat away from the cabinet for cold smoking, plus a hose to pipe the smoke in that fits perfectly onto a Bradley cabinet.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?