Maple Loin Ham

Started by Shuswap, August 02, 2015, 09:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuswap

This is "Canadian Bacon" not.  We only use this as ham so I finish it in the Bradley to 160F.  I'm working my way towards Brican's Black Forest Ham but using loin instead of belly.  This loin was cured with maple sugar and maple syrup along with a touch of Starbucks instant coffee.  The cook/smoke was 3-1/2 hours using Pecan.  For the uninitiated, Brican smokes over 3 days with rest in between and then hangs it to age for a few weeks.  My loin was in 3 pieces so I am going to push on with one of them stopping when DW says "enough already!". The other 2 will be gone before I'm finished.

KyNola

Is there any type of curing agent such as Cure #1 or #2, etc.  used in your curing of the loins?  If not I would be concerned about smoking the loin over 3 days like triple smoked bacon and then hung to dry for several weeks.

Just my opinion though.  Others with more experience in curing will come along with better advice.

Shuswap

Yes, the basic rules for salt and cure #1/#2 are followed faithfully in all my cured and smoked meats.