After fire, heating element does not work

Started by davelame, August 07, 2015, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davelame

Had a small fire doing brisket. Quickly smothered. No obvious damage. Brisket good.

But, day later tried to use smoker again, heating element worked for short while, then quit.

I replaced heating element, still doesn't work.

I checked and there is power at end of short cord that carries power from control unit to smoker.

I have 6 rack digital.

Habanero Smoker

Hi davelame;

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to welcome you to the forum under such circumstances.

More information would be helpful. Do you know the cause of the fire? Do all of the functions on the digital generator operate properly? Have you tested the old and the new element? If you have a multimeter you should get an OHM reading of 27 - 32 OHMs if it is good.

When changing elements if you pull the element out too far while the wires are still attach, it may cause the wires attached to the plug to become disconnected. Another thought, the heat from the fires may have damaged you temperature sensor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tailfeathers

There is also an inline fuse in the back of the cabinet. Remove all the screws around the steel panel on the rear of the cabinet and you will see a red wire that runs up from the power supply through a little bracket where the heat sensor is and back down to the element. See if the circuit is open. You can order the inline fuses from yard and pool's website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Don't ask me how I know this[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davelame

Thanks for helpful input guys.

Don't have foggiest what started fire. Just smoking brisket same way I have done 4 or 5 times before. Maybe a little more fat on this brisket than usual. Temp around 200. Noticed excessive smoke coming from top vent, opened door, uttered a few choice words, shut door and closed top vent.  Smoke ceased in minute or so.

All functions on control box/smoke generator appear to work.

Old and new heating elements measure about 30 ohms.

Did not check fuse on smoke generator cause I did see voltage on end of short power cord that goes to smoker, so fuse must be OK.

Did take back off. 

Turned unit on then waited 15 min or so. Heating element cold to touch.  Digital temp indicator shows temp as being 73, which is current air temp here. So seems like temp sensor might be ok.

Seems likely to me to have a failed in line fuse.  How would I get part number or name so can order replacement?

tskeeter

If you look at the Yard and Pool web site, they have great pictures of that Bradley parts they sell.  You'll be able to identify the part visually (there are only a couple of red wires with a lump in the middle and a ring connector on one end and a spade connector on the other).  There are two versions of this part.  You'll want the longer one.

In the mean time, you can put your smoker back in operation by cutting the fusible link section out of the the wire and connecting the cut ends.  You'll be operating without one of the safety mechanisms, but the smoker will work.

When I had this fusible link activate, I got three replacements.  They're about $5 each, so having a couple of spares ready to slap in isn't a  big investment in spare parts.

Another thing that I did was to cut the ring connector off the new power feed wire and crimp on a spade connector.  I then crimped the other side of the spade connector to the old wire feeding the heating element.  That way I don't have to take apart the connection to the heating element inside the smoker.  If there is a next time I need to replace the fusible link all of the connections I need will be inside the back panel of the smoker.  (Be sure to insulate the new spade connection so it doesn't short on the back panel of the smoker.  I salvaged the insulating cover off the spade connector on the old red power wire before I threw it out.)

tailfeathers

Like tskeeter said, you can cut the red wires and bypass the inline fuse link. I did this when mine failed and had the smoker back in working order in no time. Like him, when I ordered a replacement I ordered an extra, now I have one on the shelf if I ever need one again. The shipping costs are as much as the part so I figured may as well have a spare on hand. I considered not replacing it at all but the peace of mind is worth the small price of the part and shipping.

tailfeathers

And as to the cause of the fire, always make SURE that any meat in your smoker is not in contact with any side or rear walls or the door. This can let grease run down instead of draining into the bowl via the v tray.

davelame

Thanks so much. You guys great help.

Ordered part as suggested, installed as suggested. Works fine.