Tempature not rising

Started by Baylz124, April 16, 2016, 05:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baylz124

I have the Bradley original smoker 611. I've used it several times and I always have the same problem it's been turned on and set up for an hour with a 10lb but on it and the heat won't get above 200 degrees I would at least like to see 225 to 240 this thing takes forever to get going. If I upgraded to the digital smoke box for it would that help at all?

KyNola

Going digital won't help.  Your problem is the 10 lb butt you are putting in your Bradley.  The cold hunk of meat is acting as a heat sink, absorbing all of the heat your Bradley can produce.  As the internal temperature of the butt increases you should notice a rise in the tower temperature.  Don't expect to see it rise in an hour.  It very well may take much longer.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Baylz124;

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few things you can do to improve the performance. One is to preheat the smoker much higher than you tend to cook at prior to placing the meat in the smoker. If you plan to cook at 220°F, preheat to 240°F. Let the meat sit at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours prior to placing it into the smoker. Many use hot (boiling water) in the drip pan; to "kick start" the smoker. I don't use that trick, do to possibility of spilling the water and scaling myself, but many use it and swear by it.

To help it recover after opening the door, placing a brick or other object that will act as a heat sink will help bring the temperature up after you open the door to load or check on the food. Vent opening is important also. For that size load, make sure your vent is 1/2 to 3/4 open. Also the placement of the thermometer will have an effect on the temperature reading. If you don't already have one, it is well worth it to invest in a digital remote thermometer, and place the probe on the bottom rack. There you will have a more accurate reading of the temperature.

For more tips check out the link below, or browse/search the forum for a specific subject.
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)