top temperature?

Started by dAWGS, August 09, 2015, 05:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dAWGS

I modified my OBS and added a second element.  What will the top temp be around?  Does it have a built in high temp shut off?

Habanero Smoker

It depends on when your OBS was manufactured. I asked Brian back in 2011, when I was updating the FAQ section on the recipe site; and to get clarification on the different maximum temperature levels. To answer your question about the maximum temperature, if your smoker has been manufactured shortly after the digitals hit the market; your maximum temperature will average around 280°F before the temperature sensor will trip. The sensor is set for 250°, but has a 20 - 50 degree tolerance so it could stay on for as high as 300°F of shut off as low as 270°F.

The older models could reach as high as 320°F, before the sensor would shut it down. So if you stay under 280°F (270°F to play it a little safer)you will not trip the high temperature sensor. From my experience, if you cook above 250°F, dripping that hit the drip tray can produce a burnt taste in your food. If you want to cook higher then 250°F, place a pan a rack below the food to catch the dripping before they hit the drip tray.

The sensor will trip when it reaches its maximum temperature, and shut the Bradley off. It is designed to reset once the cabinet temperature drops to a certain degree, but it could get stuck and not reset at all. It is a safety switch, and you should not rely on that sensor tripping in lieu of using a PID to control the cabinet temperature, especially if you installed a second element that is not wired through the sensor. If the element is not wired through the sensor, it will keep heating even if the sensor shut down the other element. Also these switches are mechanical, and with any mechanical device, there can be failures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)