Smoker Build, what is best burner option?

Started by bundy, August 16, 2015, 12:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

I have an old SS commercial fridge I want to make into a large smoker, Inside measurements are about 60"x26"x26". Was going to put a Bradley puck burner for the smoke but undecided on the heat source 110 or 220. Any recommendations ?

The inside is all ss except fpor the back of the door which looks like hard plastic, should I replace that with metal?

Thanks

Saber 4

Others with far more experience should be along shortly with their thoughts, I would replace anything plastic inside with SS and make sure the insulation won't react badly when heat is applied. As for the Bradley smoke generator it will certainly produce enough smoke but you will need an additional heat source. You can also use one of the smoke tubes available on the internet.

bundy

Can't wait to hear from the experts, need to get this done................

Mr Walleye

Hi Bundy

Hers a coupl of large smokers that I built a few years ago. They're still puffing away. I would go 220 with the size.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16075.0

This one started as two separate circuits at 110 but later in the thread you'll see I changed it to 220.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7616.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bugnut

I built mine almost the same as Mr. Walleye's in this post. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16075.0
This set up rocks! I used a 240v oven broiler element, 5500w and followed Mike's PID set up. I also added a convection fan. The fan really speeds up sausage making, no need for hot water baths. If you go this route you wont be sorry. Mike helped me get everything going and is a great guy to bounce ideas off. If I can be of any help send me a pm.

Tom

beefmann

considering the  size of the  box  i would use a 240  heating  element in  it, along  with a custom built  pid to  control the  heat,  running the  unit totally  on  240 will help balance the electrical  load to your   home  in that it is also a good idea...so running the  new  smoker on 240  is  the  preferred method.

for most amount of flexibility i would run the 240  volts along  with a neutral and  ground from your  panel to a recptical to  where your  would be using your   smoker...  most likely it  would be a twist lock style and continue on with  a 4 conductor cord to your smoker and  its control box.

if  using a  5500 watt element  the  current  draw  would be 22.9 amps,,,  5500/240 = 22.91 which means a  30 anp circuit and 10 gage  wire,,, you also  would be better  off  with this size element  over a smaller one taking  into account heat  loss through the  box and  lead  load,,

also  running a neutral to the  smoker gives you  the most  amount of  flexibility on the  smoker in  running the smoke generator, other devices that are  120  volts and control circuity ..

im  bringing these  points  out to  help you   design and build your  smoker... just take every  into  consideration before  doing the build.. buying many  of  similar  items is also  not a  good  idea either as bing a waist of money and  time...

good luck on the  build and would love toi  see pics of the build

bundy

bundy

Need suggestions on a door seal ( gasket ). After stripping the plastic off the door I will need to get material 1/2" thick or build the door out with metal. I can't seem to find any flat rope gaskets over 1/8" and one 1/4".

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bundy