Hello from Barrie, ON Canada

Started by RobbieRed, August 19, 2015, 10:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieRed

Well hello everyone.  After waiting weeks and months for the smokers to go on sale at Cabela's in town I finally have purchased my Bradley 6 Rack Smoker with the digial therm.  (I have read a few spots now for some mods, but will have to wait for the bank account to recover)

Due to some other hobbies I took to smoking cheese for my first attempt.  It seemed to be the only thing I can sneak in there mid week and still get it packaged up.  I did 6 bricks last night
Cheddar (1 dried and 1 not dried)
Mozzarella
Havarti
Moteray Jack
Jalapeno Chedder

I smoked then with Apple wood for approx 2.5-3 hrs.  I was out for a bit and the power went off in a storm that rolled in.  I was able to keep the smoker cool to 77-81 deg with 3 trays of ice, even during the hot weather we just had.  I was left with some nice looking cheese with some lovely "grill" marks and a crisper full of vacuumed sealed cheese that I will let age 2-4 weeks.

I am a avid boater that spends most weekends out on the water till mid Sept - anyone have other "quicker" things to smoke between now and then as I really want to keep up with using the smoker and getting it well seasoned. 

I am going to attempt some Pepperettes tonight (well stuff them tonight and smoke tomorrow) so any advise would be great. Have usually done them in a dehydrator with a store bought cure/flavour. I think the meat will be 30% pork 70% beef!

Thanks everyone and looking forward to chatting with you all!

tskeeter

Another quick smoke is nuts.  Cashews are a favorite around our house.  A couple of hours of apple and back into the jar for about a month of aging and mellowing.

Jim O

Welcome from Wasaga Beach. Where do you boat ?
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

tailfeathers

Hi and welcome from South Dakota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

RobbieRed

Quote from: Jim O on August 20, 2015, 05:32:58 AM
Welcome from Wasaga Beach. Where do you boat ?

Boat out of Hindson's in Penetang - yourself?

piratey

Welcome to the forum.  Chicken is something that smokes up pretty quickly.

Jim O

I'm on the river in Wasaga. Ever go to Christian ?
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

RobbieRed

Thanks for all the hellos!

Been to Beckwith and Hope - haven't done Christian yet!

beefmann