Wood Smoke and Nut Allergies?

Started by RobbieRed, August 20, 2015, 08:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieRed

Just wondering if anyone knows if smoke from say a Pecan puck would effect someone that has allergies to a pecan?

Habanero Smoker

I'm currently dealing with this problem. I throw a party for a large number of relatives. This year a great niece, at the age of nine developed a tree nut allergy. It has become a challenge to even avoid foods with hickory flavoring added to sauces, rubs and hot dogs; and foods that been processed in plants that also process tree nuts. I'm not taking any chances and using only fruit woods, or maple wood to smoke. I can do that with my charcoal and pellet cookers, (which reminds me I need to send an email to Bradley to see if their apple, and maple are a pure as possible); since I'm sure they process the apple and maple in the same facility and equipment they use for pecan and hickory.

The reason I'm being so cautious with this is that I have a reaction when I use the cherry bisquettes, I develop an itch and a headache, and if I breath in  any smoke I have trouble breathing.

While I was (and still am) researching this; do a google "does smoke from nut trees affect those with nut allergies"; that will bring up a lot of sites. It seems like the overall feeling is "Maybe! Don't use nut woods to smoke with, to be on the safe side".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SpecialEffect

Hi, i am just wondering if you recieved a reply back from Bradley, as my girlfriend has allergies to peanuts and tree nuts.
Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Hi SpecialEffect;

Welcome to the forum.

I didn't receive a reply. Shortly after writing that post I received notice that my great niece was not going to attend, so I lost track of this matter. I sent my email to Bradley through their website, and never got a confirmation as to if they received it. I'm going to follow up on this, because I have another question I need to ask. If I find out anything I will post it.

Prior to this I never knew how difficult it is to prepare barbeque foods for people with nut allergies. I ended up having to make my own rubs, and sauces. Even with spices and seasonings, I had to read the labels. Some labels had warnings that the spices where processed with equipment that also processes tree nut etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SpecialEffect

Im from canada, and in my opinion with nut allergies, were somewhat more aware.
I wont generalize, but i was in Cali for 2 weeks in may and had some issues.
Also, interesting enough many chocolates in canada were able to eat where as in the states we aren't heheh.