Boneless Turkey Breast Roasts

Started by rcger, December 17, 2014, 09:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I've got a couple of boneless turkey breast roast I'd like to smoke and slice for lunch meat.  I thought I'd rub them down with some Jan's Rub.  I'd also like to inject them with some type of flavor.  Any suggestions on an injection would be appreciated.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

tskeeter

When I fry turkeys, all I use for an injection is about two cloves of crushed garlic sauteed in a stick of butter.  One stick of butter is about right for a 12 or 13 pound turkey.

Butter is basically fat and water.  Both contribute to a moist turkey.  First, the added water.  Second, the addition of the fat to what is a low fat piece of meat gives the mouth feel of moisture.

Most spices are either water soluble, fat soluble, or both.  Blending spices, such as Jan's Rub, into melted butter seems like you should get the best carrier for most flavors.  For the first time, I'd go light on any spices I added to a butter carrier (butter should be a very effective carrier and poultry accepts flavors very readily).  Better you find that the flavor could be more robust than you end up with a flavor that is so strong that you can't eat the turkey. 

Chef57

Just a thought.... I did a smoked boneless turkey breast but found it VERY salty... anyone else have this problem?

tskeeter

Quote from: Chef57 on September 02, 2015, 03:38:45 PM
Just a thought.... I did a smoked boneless turkey breast but found it VERY salty... anyone else have this problem?

Chef, did you put any rub on the turkey, or do anything else that would add salt to the meat?  A lot of turkey is "enhanced".  That translates into the turkey is injected with a salt brine.  It flavors the turkey and helps to prevent dry turkey breast.  (The fact that it is also a low cost way to add weight to the meat doesn't hurt the processor's feelings either.)  If you added salt to turkey breast that already had salt added to it, that might be why your breast was more salty that you'd like.  If you didn't add salt, I'd think about another brand that has less salt added, the next time. 

mevswild

i second what tskeeter is saying
and for injection
butter bourbon and or maple syrup
ive used various rubs and put a couple slices of bacon on top