No heat w/o smoke gen on

Started by warbirdog, August 31, 2015, 04:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warbirdog

My original Bradley is just a week old I have cold smoked salmon and smoked hot ribs. One of Bradleys recipies said to cook for 3 hours at 225. Then shut off smoke generator and cook for 2 more hours. If I shut the smoke generator off with the toggle switch, the tower burner also shuts off. Is this normal?

beefmann

the new bradleys i do not  know, The on / off switch may turn off the  whole smoker... including  the main element... quick way to  check this out is  only turn on the heating  element by the  know and watch the  light above the  know to see how bright it is... this  should apply power to the  element..  if it does not..  check thje  connections  from  the  smoke generator to the tower

KyNola

Not sure why a recipe would advise to shut off the smoke generator anyhow.  It serves as an additional heat source.  Mine runs the entire time.

warbirdog

Exactly. Without the smoke gen, the highest temp I can get is about 145 degrees

tskeeter

I suspect that the recipe is poorly worded.  I think the intent is to convey the instruction to apply smoke for three hours, then continue to cook for another two hours.

piratey

I have the 4 rack original and turning off the smoke generator turns off the tower heating element.  The temperature control dial is on the smoking generator, so that makes sense.  The recipe probably means to keep the generator on and keep cooking, but do not feed any more pucks.

Murds1204

Quote from: warbirdog on August 31, 2015, 04:34:35 PM
My original Bradley is just a week old I have cold smoked salmon and smoked hot ribs. One of Bradleys recipies said to cook for 3 hours at 225. Then shut off smoke generator and cook for 2 more hours. If I shut the smoke generator off with the toggle switch, the tower burner also shuts off. Is this normal?
I just posted the same question before I saw yours. So far all I have figured out to do is remove the pucks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk