Can I use a Johnson Digital Temperature Controller?

Started by Mike_, September 02, 2015, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_

could I use this for the orig smoker?

Johnson Digital Temperature Controller

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/content/us/en/products/building_efficiency/products-and-systems/commercial-refrigeration/commercial_refrigeration/temperature/electronic2/a419singlestage.html

A419 Series: Electronic Temperature Control   

Description

The A419 series controls are single-stage, electronic temperature controls with a Single Pole, Double Throw output relay. They feature a lockable front-panel touchpad for setup and adjustment, and a Liquid Crystal Display for viewing the temperature and status of other functions. A Light-Emitting Diode indicates the controls' output relay (On/Off) status. The A419 controls are available in 24 VAC or 120/240 VAC models. The A419 controls have heating and cooling modes, adjustable setpoint and differential, an adjustable anti-short cycle delay, and a temperature offset (setback) function. The setpoint range is -30 to 212°F (-34 to 100°C). The controls feature remote sensing capability and interchangeable sensors. The A419 controls are available in either NEMA 1, high-impact plastic enclosure suitable for surface or DIN rail mounting or NEMA 4X Watertight surface-mount enclosures.

Features

Easy-to-read LCD displays the sensed temperature and control-function status clearly and custom icons on the display indicate the control and system status at a glance.
    The 30° (F° or C°) temperature differential adjustment range allows precise (1F° or C°) temperature differential settings that are much tighter than electromechanical controls.
    The Adjustable Anti-Short Cycle Delay (0 to 12 Minutes in 1-Minute Increments) ensures that the output relay remains off for a user-set time delay, and helps avoid hard starts, nuisance overload outages, and unnecessary equipment wear.
    The Temperature Offset Function shifts the cut-in and cut-in setpoints by an adjustable offset when a user-installed, external switch closes the A419 control's binary input circuit.
    The high-impact thermoplastic type NEMA 1 allows surface or snap-fit DIN rail mount; the Noryl® high-impact thermoplastic type NEMA 4X enclosures allow watertight surface mount.
    Lockable front-panel touchpad allows easy set up and adjustment of the A419 control setpoint, differential, and other functions; a concealed jumper locks the touchpad, and deters unauthorized adjustment of the control settings.
    Low and line-voltage models provides options for almost any refrigeration or HVAC control-voltage application.

Applications
The A419 can be used to control a wide variety of single-stage refrigeration or HVAC equipment. Typical applications include:

Freezer control in convenience stores
    Reach-in coolers
    Supermarket display cases for produce or meats
    Restaurant or convenience store walk-in coolers
    Boiler control
    Compressor lockout (disables the copressor when temperature exceeds limits)
    Condenser fan cycling
    Pump control for cooling towers
    Space and return air temperature

Mike_

I cant seem to find info on the out put ratings on this Controller

I know the Bradely needs 500Watts.

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mike;

Welcome to the forum.

This controller is very similiar to the Ranco ETC 111000-000 - 120V that I have. Although the Ranco is rated 16A, as Mike has stated, 12A is plenty. I have used the Ranco in a pinch to control one of my Bradleys', also another member Squirtthecat, had used the Ranco ETC 111000-000 - 120V for a while to control his original Bradley without any problems. It keeps tight control on the temperatures, but not quit as accurate as a PID. The sensor cable is kind of thick, so feeding the probe through the vent is better than feeding it through the door. Keep in mind that these controllers are not moisture proof, So it will need extra protection during inclement weather. With the Ranco you can set up to 220°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mike_

great, thx for help. I have two of them because of home brew hobby  :D

might as well use one to have better control over temps

here is what I got from my good friend who is a commercial electrician

If regular household power is used it will handle up to 1,650 watts.

Volts x amps = watts

110 x 15 = 1,650