What do you use mesquite for?

Started by BBQ_Ben, September 05, 2015, 12:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQ_Ben

I find myself with a box of mesquite pucks, and I'm not sure what to smoke with them.  I tend to think of mesquite as a wood to grill steak over...I suppose I could do a reverse sear on some steaks?  An hour of smoke at 130-140, let them rest then give them a quick sear for crust.

What do you like to pair with mesquites?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KyNola

Nothing. :)  I find it too powerful and bitter.

Wildcat

Beef. (Brisket, ribs, steaks, prim rib, etc.) If you like a mild smoke then smoke for less time.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Saber 4

Quote from: Wildcat on September 05, 2015, 01:02:40 PM
Beef. (Brisket, ribs, steaks, prim rib, etc.) If you like a mild smoke then smoke for less time.

X2 if your from Texas it works on any beef.

BBQ_Ben

Excellent. Thanks!

slowpoke

I use it for Venison Jerky.Nice smoke flavor.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Sniper-T

Any wild meat.  Deer, bear, goose.  Mesquite has the required bite for stronger meats.

That said, I don't use them exclusively.  The last goose Jerky I made I used 1 mesquite puck for every 3 cherry that I used (alternate in stack)

Jfuka78

Quote from: BBQ_Ben on September 05, 2015, 12:26:31 PM
I find myself with a box of mesquite pucks, and I'm not sure what to smoke with them.  I tend to think of mesquite as a wood to grill steak over...I suppose I could do a reverse sear on some steaks?  An hour of smoke at 130-140, let them rest then give them a quick sear for crust.

What do you like to pair with mesquites?

Shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny

I like it when smoking pepperettes (snack sticks) when using wild game such as moose.. not alot tho, maybe 2 hrs max!