fish brines

Started by mptgreg, August 11, 2006, 10:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mptgreg

Can you reuse fish brines after they have been used?? i am looking for some help. i want to due another batch of fish but, i dotn have the time to make a new brine and let it sit.

iceman

Co op extension says it's not a good idea to reuse brine for a couple of reasons.
1. The brine becomes diluted from exchanging fluids with the fish flesh.
2. It has picked up contaminates, parasites, etc. from the first fish and will spread them to the next batch.
3. If the used brine came up over 40 degrees after use it could have developed a high bacteria content.
You could boil it and add more salt but............
IMO it's just not worth the chance but I have seen folks do it anyhow.
Hope this helps out.

mptgreg

Thanks for the help. I am going to toss it then remake the mixture.

tsquared

I agree with Iceman, I would toss it and make a new one each time.
T2

Kummok

Quote from: mptgreg on August 11, 2006, 11:37:21 AM
Thanks for the help. I am going to toss it then remake the mixture.

Great thinking, mptgreg! Maybe it's because I grew up on a ranch where, because we had to heat our bath water on a wood stove, I had to "share" the bathwater with my brothers.....but using the brine over again, (in addition to all the very valid "Safe food handling" reasons that Iceman gives!), just ain't right. The parts of me that aren't Cherokee are Scottish and I believe in squeezing a penny until you can read a book through it, but reusing fishbrine is one area where "used" ain't the good deal that it might be for a gun or pickup truck!