Would this setup work for my 900watt Mod?

Started by ghosttown, September 06, 2015, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

I am ready to do my mod on my original OBS, I have attached two diagrams showing the current wiring and what I want to do. I want to keep the light indicator in the front and keep the inline fuse, so please let me know if the way I am doing will work.

Current

900 watt mod

beefmann

if you  are  gonna  be  using a pid controller then the   second diagram is the  way to  go,  one thing i  would  change is  putting the  fuse on the  hot leg of the  circuit , then you  can  split from there and  go  to the  heating element and  on to the  light....

some say the slider control on the  bradleys are  heavy  enough to  handle the 900 watts though i  have never  used it  on the  original temp  control always  ran my directly  from a  pid

ghosttown

Perfect will do and yes I am using a pid control, I wonder why they use the inline fuse on the neutral wire

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I just have a question about the wiring to the in-line fuse. Doesn't both diagrams show the in-line fuse running to the hot? I've learned when wiring my Bradley you can't go by the wire colors, you have to follow the wiring.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghosttown

I want to say the way Bradley wired it up is they have the neutral wire going through the inline fuse. The blue wire is the hot which is running to the control temp and the white is neutral. Can anybody confirm this?

Also does it matter if I split the neutral wire at the back of the unit instead? This way instead of running two wires to the element one from the plug to the element and one from the front power light indicator to the same side of the element, I was thinking to slice at the back, one wire to the plug and then branch off to two places. Does It have to be a complete run to the element from the plug?

Habanero Smoker

White is usually used for neutral, but it doesn't have to be used that way. In the Bradley it can be used for the hot, and in many models that is how it is used. That is why you should follow the wiring back to the plug receptacle. But I believe I've made a mistake, and was trying to visualize the three probe in the reverse position. I just checked my Bradley, and the prong on the left is marked "N".

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ghosttown

So that means they have the neutral going to the control temp, I guess doesn't really matter what side I connect the neutral and hot to the 900 watt element

Habanero Smoker

At least yours is. :)

I can't fully recall, but I believe there have been some who posted modifications in which their Bradley was wired differently than mine. I forgot the name of the member, but he added a second element to his Bradley and also added a second in-line fuse, and a second high temperature switch. His original wiring did not match my original wiring.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ghosttown

K thanks, didn't realize the blue wire is the neutral wire and it was going to the temp controller