MSG free BBQ sauces???

Started by chiroken, September 20, 2015, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Anyone know of any BBQ sauces that are MSG free? Any Canadians out there know of any specific retailers that carry them? I'm having a tough time online finding anything.

Thanks a bunch!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Bear1968

Is making your own an option or are you looking to purchase in bulk?
One of my favorite Home Made Sauces cam from a Canadian Video Blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NqL5TmXmBQ
UBC Local 268

cathouse willy

I have a bottle of Bullseye original [cdn] and another of Sweet Baby Rays from the Usa no msg listed in either of them both available in local food store Save On and Buy Low

chiroken

Quote from: cathouse willy on September 22, 2015, 12:00:13 PM
I have a bottle of Bullseye original [cdn] and another of Sweet Baby Rays from the Usa no msg listed in either of them both available in local food store Save On and Buy Low
I think bullseye has MSG. MSG is hidden under many many names. If it says "spices" assume that includes MSG :(
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

chiroken

Quote from: Bear1968 on September 20, 2015, 09:52:39 PM
Is making your own an option or are you looking to purchase in bulk?
One of my favorite Home Made Sauces cam from a Canadian Video Blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NqL5TmXmBQ
I will check it out. One of my favourite sauces was bullseye and I can't remember the flavour but I think it was 'cajun'. No longer is made and it had MSG to boot.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: chiroken on September 22, 2015, 09:37:04 PM
I think bullseye has MSG. MSG is hidden under many many names. If it says "spices" assume that includes MSG :(

If the sauce is manufactured in the U.S.; if MSG is added, it must be listed in the ingredients list. But MSG occurs naturally in many different foods, that includes tomatoes, so you may want to avoid tomato based sauces. When the sauce contains MSG from natural ingredients there is no requirement to list in on the label. So when you are reviewing ingredient labels, and if the sauce is made in the U.S., if MSG is not listed, it is not added.

I forgot to add that MSG will be listed as monosodium glutamate in the ingredient label.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cathouse willy

Quote from: chiroken on September 22, 2015, 09:37:04 PM

This is a cp from health Canada with a link to their site below
How is MSG labelled?

When MSG is added to prepackaged foods, it must be declared on the list of ingredients of food labels, even when it is a component of flavouring preparations, spice mixtures, food flavour-enhancer preparations and other preparations or mixtures. This permits individuals who are sensitive to MSG to avoid this substance.

Claims pertaining to the absence or non-addition of monosodium glutamate such as "contains no MSG", "no MSG added" and "no added MSG" are considered misleading and deceptive when other added sources of free glutamate are present (e.g., hydrolysed vegetable protein (HVP), hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP), hydrolyzed soy protein (HSP), soya sauce or autolysed yeast extracts). There are also a number of common food ingredients that contain high levels of naturally-occurring free glutamate, including tomatoes and tomato juice, grapes and grape juice, other fruit juices, cheeses such as Parmesan and Roquefort, and mushrooms. There are no labelling requirements for naturally-occurring free glutamates.

http://hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/addit/msg_qa-qr-eng.php

I'm quite sensitive to the stuff and I'm ok with Bullseye