Beef Tenderloin

Started by smokerinchicago, August 11, 2006, 12:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asa

Twinkle -
Sounds interesting - I'm always ready to experiment. I'd be interested in the internal temp the BT gets to after 20-30 minutes for med-rare. If you have the sauce recipe handy, I'd like to try it and I'm sure others would also.

You forced me to get out the Whole Foods recipe for standing rib roast we've used (also at Christmas, with Yorkshire pudding even). It starts by preheating the oven to 550! After 15 minutes, turn the oven down to 300 (sorry, I thought we turned it off - may have been a different recipe) for an amount of time determined by multiplying the weight by 17 minutes for rare, 19 for med-rare, etc. But I'm leery of this because they say rare is 140 degrees & med-rare is 150, way too high I think, but it could vary depending on how you get to that temp (ie., low and slow would take it to a lower temp, while a hot blast from the surface might not overcook it at the higher temp). I just haven't had a bunch of roasts to compare the different styles, and I don't think Christopher Kimball has addressed that in his Cooks Bible either. Then, for the last 10 minutes, they say to raise the oven temp to 450. Finally, remove the roast to a warm platter & cover with foil tent for 25 minutes before carving. I think the first time I did this by the recipe, it was overdone. Subsequently, I've shortened the cooking time, but haven't kept great lab notes, so will have to experiment the next time I do it, if I try it again. Your version sounds a lot simpler. This one, to my way of thinking, needs some more fine tuning, probably aiming for 130 for medium-rare. But I thought it interesting to start off at such a high temp - things really start to sizzle right away.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!