Drying peppers

Started by werwin, September 13, 2015, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

werwin

Hi All
Has anyone tried drying out peppers and making a dry rub with them?
I have a bunch of cyan peppers i was going to smoke and dehydrate with my OBS and run them through the food processor and make a powder for seasoning.
Has anyone done this and if so how long do you expect till drying is complete?
Thanks
Tony

Bear1968

Cayenne Peppers are pretty thin walled and will dry pretty fast. I Do that with Jalapeno peppers, Smoke them for about four hours then dehydrate. With thicker walled peppers it will take a bit more time in the dehydrator. After I throw them in the Coffee grinder I usually cut mine with Sea Salt, run it through again and use it as a seasoning.
If I can give you one piece of advise, that would have to be DO NOT DEHYDRATE HOT PEPPERS IN YOUR HOUSE OR ANY CONFINED AREA!  :P
UBC Local 268

Habanero Smoker

On occasion I will smoke habaneros, using 2 hours of pecan. I either will cut them in half, or make 4 to 6 slits in each one to help moisture to escape. With cayenne's, I don't think you will have to bother with that step. I use the cold smoker setup, and try to keep the cabinet around 140°F-150°F. I frequently monitor them, and rotated the racks. Not all of them dried at the same time; so I would pick the dried ones off the rack when they were ready. I can't recall how long the entire process took. One time I transferred them to my oven; which has a dehydrator setting.

I generally store them as is, and reconstitute or grind only those that I need at any given time, using a burr coffee grinder dedicated to grinding herbs and spices. You may not want to grind them all at once, and only grind what you think you may use in the next year or so, and store the others in an air tight container. It would also be wise not to grind them inside your house. I find roasting the dried peppers in a dry skillet just before grinding, helps them grind better.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

johnwesleyhardin1

I have 7 trays of scorpion peppers in the dehydrator right now :)  Whether I smoke them first or just dry them, I'd suggest taking scissors and making a cut in the peppers before drying.  Otherwise, in my experience, they take a long time to dry fully encased.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk