Cooking whole chicken

Started by ghosttown, September 23, 2015, 07:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

I really want to smoke a whole chicken this weekend and was hoping to get some info on what people have used for the rub, what kind of smoke and for how long? I was thinking to do two birds but not sure if it will fit in my original Bradley. Thanks

ghosttown

I will be doing the spatchcock method however do you normally cook breastside down or up?

iceman

I normally brine the whole bird then spatch it and sprinkle with Jans rub then cook breast side up. That's just the way Ann likes it. I'm sure the rest of the group will pipe in soon.  :)

ghosttown

What stuff did you use to Brine the bird?

Habanero Smoker

The last several chickens I've smoked, I used the Cornell Chicken Brine, and used Melissa Cookston's Ultimate BBQ Rub. I cut the chickens in half; prior to brining them.

Perfect Smoked Chicken
Scroll down about half page, and her Ultimate BBQ Rub recipe is listed there. I don't care for her sauce. This rub is also great on salmon.

Cornell Chicken Brine
4 quarts water
7 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt
1.5 Tablespoons Pickling Spice
Depending on container. This is enough brine for 4 (3 1/2-to 4-pound) whole chickens, halved

Combine all ingredients, stir until salt is completely dissolved, and chill. Brine for 2 hours, but no longer than 4 hours.

NOTE: The longer you brine, the possibility of your chicken texture becoming mushy is more likely. I like to heat the pickling spices in 2 quarts of water, by bring it to a boil, and letting it simmer for about 5 minutes. Then mix in the rest of the ingredient, chill brine prior to adding chickens. I brine for 2 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sniper-T

I did a couple last week, brined in cranberry juice, then rubbed with an Italian spice mix. smoked for 4 hours and then finished in the oven since my element was kaput!  I do breast down first, and then flip it over about 1/2 way.

I also use a couple of skewers to hold the cavity open