Wonky controller

Started by FuBar, September 25, 2015, 02:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuBar

Hi everyone, after a year away from my 6-rack digital I got it back from my buddy who I lent it to, plugged it in and right away got the E1 message which finally disappeared after unplugging and plugging everything in a few times. When I went to turn on the heat element I couldnt lower the temp, just increase it. I pushed the Set Temp button a couple of times while trying to get the temperature to lower and then the smoke generator turned on. I tried setting the Oven Time and again, I can only increase this, not decrease it. I was planning on taking it apart and making sure everything is clean but unfortunately I can't do that at the moment and will have to wait for the weekend. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any recommendations?? Any help is much appreciated!!! Cheers!!

FuBar

I just tried again quickly before I have to run out and this is whats happening.

Push Temp Set, down : Smoke generator turns on
Push temp set, up: Nothing

Push Time set, up: increase oven time.
Push time set, down: Nothing

Habanero Smoker

If the panel is alright, make sure you are pressing in the center of the buttons, and press firmly.

If the panel is malfunctioning, the below link may help you getup and going, until you can replace the panel.
Digital Smoker Won't Turn On

Or after you remove the panel, maybe a good cleaning of the buttons with a electrical contact cleaner may work, and you will not have to purchase a new panel.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FuBar

Thanks a lot Habs, much appreciated! Long time admirer of yours on the forums and I'll try the suggestions you put forth and let you know how it turns out. Cheers!!!

FuBar

I took everything apart and blew it all out (what a mess it was in there), including the circuit box behind the digital display. After putting it all back together again (wow, I did it!) Im still experiencing the same problems. Some of the buttons work as they're supposed to, some do nothing and others control things that they shouldn't.  I emailed Bradley and they had suggested cleaning everything out which I did. I have just messaged them back asking if it's possible to replace the circuit board thats behind the digital display. Anyone know if you can buy just that part without having to replace the entire smoke generator?

I also tried the link Habanero Smoker sent me but unfortunately I can't view it as I'm getting a banned IP warning which I've gotten before from that site. I'm not sure if it's because of my location in Taiwan or what but I've sent an email to admin and hopefully they can help me get into their site.

Thanks again and I'll update you as they become available.

Cheers!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Fubur;

That site gets attracted often from countries in that part of the world, so Trey (the administrator) probably has a general block on all IP originating from that area. I know if you contact Bradley, they will sell you a circuit board.

Besides going over the areas of making sure your connections are good, the link basically shows you how to take the digital board out, which you have already figured out; with additional instructions on operating the buttons with the display panel (plastic front cover) removed. "Leaving the plastic cover off, feed the ribbon cable back through the hole in the front and reconnect the cable. You now can directly push the buttons. Hopefully this will work enough to get you up and running until you can contact Bradley Technical Support to obtain a new display panel."

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FuBar

Thanks again for your help and suggestions Habanero Smoker, much appreciated! Today is the Mid Autumn Festival (Moon Festival) here in Taiwan and that only means 1 thing; BBQ's!! Not slow and low but grilling. There'll be so many small grills out this evening, one not familiar with the day might think that tonight is the last night legally allowed to grill in the country so everyone's getting their fix while they can! I'll play around with it a little bit today and see if I can get something going. Again, thank you for your help and I'll update here once I hear back from Bradley about their circuit board. Cheers!

FuBar

Ive emailed Bradley a few times and I must say I'm less than happy with their customer service.

Me: Is it possible to just buy the electronics in the smoke generator? My buttons wont work.

Bradley: Call customer service at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Me: I live in Taiwan and the time difference and my job schedule makes it difficult for me to phone during business hours. I'm just wondering if it's possible to buy the electronics in the smoke generator and not the whole thing.

Bradley: Sounds like you need a new display. I dont see where we have a dealer in Taiwan. (Thats exactly and all they wrote. No suggestions or help)

ME: I don't expect you to have a dealer in Taiwan, I'm just wondering if it's possible to buy the electronics?

Bradley: Call our customer service.

Anyways, I emailed someone in Canada to see if they can CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE because it seems that it's the only way to get any information out of them. Hopefully they can get the new electronics (if Bradley even sells them, they still haven't answered that question 3 times) sent to their place and then forward to me. Fingers crossed

Habanero Smoker

This is unusual service from Bradley. That has to be frustrating for sure. I don't understand why they can't provide an answer by email. I do know that, that in the past, they have replaced a few displays.

You can also try sending a PM to Bradley (Head Office)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

FuBar

My friend just informed me that he spoke to someone at Bradley and ordered a replacement for the digital controller in the smoke generator. They'll ship it off to him and then him to me. I'm looking forward to getting it fired back up and now it's time to start planning the heat element mod. Happy smoking guys!

FuBar

I finally received the replacement circuit board for my smoke generator today and just I swapped it out with the old one. After hooking everything up and turning it on.....the dreaded E1 message. I've unplugged everything, switch ends of the sensor cable, blew in the holes with compressed air, wiggled the cables.....and nothing. After 20 minutes of the E1 message I gave up and just sent Bradley a message. It took quite a while to get the part to Taiwan and I'm HOPING I wont have to wait another month to get my smoke on!  :-[ I'm going to have a look through the forum to see if anyone else has solved this problem but if you have a suggestion HabaneroSmoker I'd love to hear it!

Habanero Smoker

From the steps you already taken, with an E-1 error the only other suggestion I have is to check the sensor wire for any cracks or breaks in the line. Also check for rust on the connectors, both on the back of the generator and back of the smoker.

Also since you replace the board, I would disconnect and reconnect  all those wires; once more. While disconnected check and make sure none of the pins have been bent or missing, or there is nothing clogging the holes in the female connector.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Sam66

If the sensor cable tests OK it's worth taking the back panel off the smoker and checking the socket this cable plugs into.  Although it looked ok on the outside mine appeared heat damaged and had come apart internally, causing E1 code.

FuBar

Thank you Habanero Smoker and Sam66. I'll disconnect everything in the smoke gen and have a look behind the back panel this weekend. As for the sensor wire and plugs, do you think there's anything 'special' about them? I like near an electronics mall and could probably get that wire made up for a dollar, providing there's nothing special or proprietary about it. Cheers guys!

Habanero Smoker

As for the sensor connections, they can become corroded, or particles can get lodge inside, either can prevent a good connections.

When you take the back panel of the cabinet off to check, as mentioned by Sam66, look for other damage to the connectors, and also check the connections to the temperature sensor. A bad connection there can also cause an E1 code.

I
         don't
                   inhale.