PID turned off after 20min with GFCI plug

Started by ghosttown, September 25, 2015, 04:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

I have one of those GFCI outlets outside and having the PID connecting to it caused the switch on the outlet to trigger causing power going to the outlet to stop. Has anybody plugged their pid before in a GFCI outlet? Weird thing I used the other side of the plug and the PID stayed on.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Salmonsmoker

ghost,
you may have an issue with your GFCI. Sometimes a "trip" while under  high power draw can fry the innards, and everything looks normal externally.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tskeeter

I'm with SalmonSmoker, I think you have a bad GFCI.  I've always used my PID on GFCI outlets and never had a problem with the GFCI tripping.  The fact that one side of the plugs works fine with your PID and the other does not is a pretty clear indication of a GFCI problem. 

beefmann

does  half the  gfi work? from your description it sounds  like it  does,,, if  so replace your GFI,, also i  do agree with above,,, how ever if a  new  gfi trips,,, you  may  have a fault to ground  issue .. it  wont much to  trip a  gfi recept were talking  appros 15 to  20  milli amps to  trip it,, if the  only  item that  trips the  gfi is the   smoker,,, check  out all the  circuity in the  smoker to  ground ,, any leakage to  ground  will cause the  trip...

hope the  above  works

ghosttown

It seemed the other side of the plug works as I heated the smoker to 225 without an issue and then opened the door and it raised back to 225. When I was only using the smoker without the mod or the PID it never tripped the GFCI. It could very well be the extension cord I am also using. I am smoking two birds tomorrow will see if it turns off and will report back. It could be the ground as you mentioned but I ensured it was fully secured when I did the mod to 900 watt.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk