How long and at what temp for whole turkey

Started by ghosttown, September 25, 2015, 06:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

I am smoking 2-3.5lbs whole chicken tomorrow and was wondering at what temp should I set my Bradley smoker to and for how long? I do like it crispy from the outside. Will be using cherry pucks. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Bear1968

2-3.5 pound Turkey? I will assume that is a Typo.      :)
When in comes to smoking, grilling or even kitchen cooking there is no better way than to go by the IT or Internal Temperature.  There are so many factors that make time irrelevant when it comes to smoking. It is almost all about  temperature. :)
UBC Local 268

Wildcat

I would recommend that you smoke for 2 to 4 hours at a temp as high as your Bradley will go then finish in house oven. This way it will get the smoke and the skin will not turn to rubber. Keep vent wide open during the smoke period.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ghosttown

Sorry whole chicken not turkey, I bought 2 of them and they are about 3.5lbs  each. Bradley will go as high as I want it as I have the 900 watt element in it

Wildcat

I do not recommend running the Bradley any higher than it was desiged for. Given your circumstances I would go with the same recommendation as before except keep the Bradley at 235 for the smoke period.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ghosttown

O for sure I know there is max temp for it. Chicken's tuned out amazing thanks for all the help

Idapopo3

Ghosttown,  how long did you cook the chickens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ghosttown

Using the Dual PID, first step I set it to 225 for 2hrs then step 2, 235 until internal temp was 145 then step 3, 245 until internal temp was 165. Then put them on the BBQ on top rack for few minutes to get the skin crispy. I would say total smoke time was about 4-4.5hrs. Turned out amazing

Idapopo3

Thanks ghost town.  My mouth is watering... Looking forward to trying it Friday for the wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ghosttown

Turned out really good and juice, I brinded them for 2 hours prior to smoking

ratherbboating

You know that you can do a beer butt chicken in the smoker.  Use your favorite rub.  Let the chicken smoke for at least one hour and finish.  I would do 220F the entire time.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child