cold smoker attachment question

Started by werwin, September 27, 2015, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

werwin

Hi
i just bought the Bradley cold smoker attachment and after wrestling with the flexable pipe that comes with it and it unhooking at ether end several times i got it set up for now but not happy at all.
Has anyone or can anyone recommend a more user friendly pipe?
I was thinking of welding extentions to ether ends the little they give you make it hard for me to deal with.
Any input on this would be awesome
Thank you
Tony

Salmonsmoker

Tony,
As you've probably found out, you have to be gentle with the duct. All it does it transmit the smoke from the adapter to the smoker box. My bigger beef is with the shortness of the connection collars on the smoke box adapter and the cold smoke box- way too short. The flex duct itself isn't any better or worse than any found in the industry. If you are going to do a permanent set-up, 5" aluminum duct w/ajustable elbows would be the way.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Habanero Smoker

If you are not looking for a permanent setup purchase a foil flexible hose. It works well and is very durable.
Foil Flexible Hose

You need a 5" hose, which is hard to find in that diameter, but if you do a search you will find some that sell them in that size. Home Depot use to but I couldn't find it on their site. A 4" hose will fit over the lip on the box itself. It is a little tricky at first, because the lip is .5 inches high; but once clamped on it is a pretty good connection, especially if you use a food grade silicon glue. The other end of the hose slide inside the opening of the Bradly and makes a fairly descent seal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

werwin

yes  Salmonsmoker i found out a few times you need to be gentle with your set up i think it would be better if there was as little as a half inch more clamping surface a good inch more would be the ticket.
Like i mentioned i was thinking of add that inch extra.
Habanero Smoker i was thinking the same thing with the dryer duct my only concern was would it make the smoke taste different?
i have no plans of making anything permanent this is my only smoker so far and would like to be able to cold and hot smoke.
I'll have to recheck mine but i thought i measured my outside dia of the clamping surface at 4.5 inch.
But i guess if it holds up to dryer heat the little heat the smoker puts out should be ok.
I will keep pictures and you posted on what i end up doing
Thank you
Tony

Habanero Smoker

The diameter of the fittings the hose attaches is about 4.5", but the foil flexible 5" will work, and you will get a tight enough clamp. If not you may have to notch the end of the hose.  I haven't seen any foil or metal hose come in other than whole inches. I've seen a few silicon hoses come in half inch sizes. The diameter of the of the ring that is on top of the box; that the fitting attaches to is 4", and a 4" hose will fit that.

I've been using the foil dryer duct for years, and have not noticed any flavor change. I don't believe the hose ever gets hot enough to cause any chemical reaction from the hose. Like most equipment used for smoking foods, you want to season the hose with about 2 hours of smoke, prior to cooking any food. If you go with this type of hose, keep it as short as possible, and the fewer the bends the better it will work.

An inch clamping surface would be better, but the half inch is good enough, and with the silicone glue; I've have even attached my hose with a zip tie, on one occasion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

The flexible foil dryer duct works great.  Like you, after fighting with the duct that came with the cold smoke attachment a couple of times I switched to the flexible foil dryer duct.  Like Habs, I noticed no difference in the flavor.

werwin

could anyone who has changed or modified their cold smoke attachment please post a picture.
I am having a heck of a time trying to figure something out that doesn't change the mounting
Thank you