Brisket Redemption (I hope)

Started by JohnM70, September 28, 2015, 02:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

My last attempt at brisket resulted in the great conflagration (for those who do not know, please search for JohnM70.) It is easy to find... I just do not like looking at it. :-[
I removed some of the fat cap and scored to allow the rub and CYM to get inside.

I have a 14lbs+ brisket. I thought I was getting a packer but the grain seems to be going the same way. I will accept humbly all comments. My beautiful Bride is putting together the rub, JANS of course with her modifications. I labeled the pictures B1-4. I plan to use CYM then the rub. Next the fridge. Tomorrow afternoon I will start the smoke. I am going to try a different smoke combination. Pictures after the rub.

B-1

B-2

B-3

B-4

Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

JohnM70

Into the fridge: Tomorrow afternoon the smoker!

Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

JohnM70

Into the smoker temp set at 215degrees time about 16:20 central. Now the waiting game. I have all the temp probes in so I can compare with the PID. So far it is close, within an acceptable margin of error. The brisket is as far forward as I can get it. Nothing touching the rear wall! :)

JohnM70

About 22:30 hrs.  IT 154 both IT probes within 2 degrees. :) Lowered PID to 210 Degrees, I want to be sure it is done before DRs. appt or after!

dave01

looking good, I lived most of my life near Sioux Falls, a place called Flandreau

manfromplaid

that looks very nice so far. makes me think its time to do another one for myself.

JohnM70

If there is a fat pocket I will find it. At around 05:30 +- the alarm on the Maverick went off about 4/5 hours ahead of time. I checked the temp withe my thermapen and found that some areas were at 185 degrees and the other was at 190 degrees. I was looking for 195! I adjusted the probes, closed the box and went back to bed... 06:45 comes early for my morning workout.

Well here are the results. I looks like I had a small packer although I could not find the point/flat demarcation. I know it is obvious to every one else. I started at the small end and it was over cooked and a little dry.

A little to dry :(

I went to the other end and found the mother load. This looked great and tasted wonderful. I cut a few pieces for dinner and then separated the rest (3) for vacu-seal and freezer.

I decided t o make some burnt ends. I put them in a pan added a mix of CYM, brown mustard and beer.
Put them in the oven at 200 degrees and mopped every Hour. They came out fairley good. the part away from the bark was very moist.

I need to leave for a few hours but I have more questions to asked. Dinner was burnt ends as I ate too much of the brisket while I was cutting and vac-u- sealing. 

I think I finally did it ;D   More later.

drano

Looks great John.
I'd call that a success!

Grouperman941

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

JohnM70

Quote from: dave01 on September 30, 2015, 06:44:35 AM
looking good, I lived most of my life near Sioux Falls, a place called Flandreau

That's not too far from us just up 29 on the way to Brookings.

JohnM70

From reading the forum I know that the brisket is done when it is done. At 14lbs and 1:30 minutes per pound I figured it would be done in about 20+ hours. With the very early alarm indicating it was done and after probing around I found cooler spots, dropped the temp to 210 and it took about 18.5 hours. I think the next one I will start a 205/210 degrees and try to find the fat pocket first. Is there a way to find the fat pockets? Or should I go the thickest part and move from there? BTW the outside temp was about 55 and zip wind.

As for the burnt ends they turned out great. I chopped up what I thought was the overcooked end and put them in the oven at 200 deg. I made the slather from beer, CYM and, added some spice brown mustard. Mopped them  once and hour and boy they were good. In fact the next morning while I was preparing my breakfast I decided to taste them cold They were just as good as being warmed up.

I some of the brisket vac-u-sealed and frozen. I know that defrosting and warming should be in slightly boiling  water. What do you do if they are thawed? Low oven at 200deg. Or what? I hate to see them dry out in the oven.

Anyway thank for all the encouragement and I do feel redeemed! ;D
Now for the next smoke!

John

KyNola

I wouldn't recommend reheating the bagged meat in slightly boiling water.  Boiling water sometimes releases the seal on your bag and you wind up with a bag full of water and brisket.(Don't ask me how I know :o) Hold the water to just below boiling. The thawed meat I would either put in a roasting pan along with a little beef stock, cover the pan and place in the oven.  Alternatively you can make a foil packet with brisket, a little beef stock, close up the packet and into the oven.  You can go higher than 200 oven temp, 225-250 should be fine with the meat enclosed in the pan or packet.

tskeeter

My last batch of pulled pork I reheated by steaming it over about 1/4 inch of boiling apple juice.  (I suppose that you could also use chicken stock or, even better, drippings from your smoke.)  It reheated really quickly.  About 5 minutes. (Note that the pork was thawed, not frozen.) And it reheated completely and evenly.  Some fat and juices did render into the apple juice.  It smelled really good, so I poured some of the liquid from the bottom of the pot back over the pork.  I was really happy with the results.  Think this is going to be my go-to approach from now on.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

JohnM70

Thanks KyNola & tskeeter, after reading your comments I talked with the warden and explained what you all said. All I got was yes how else would you do it... then she proceeded to tell me her methods. Well next time I will ask her first. :-[

Thanks again all. I am now off to smoke some cheese and hopefully some salmon.

John