Brisket too long for rack

Started by isslandboy, October 01, 2015, 12:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isslandboy

Hey Folks,

I'm new to the smoker scene and am wanting to do a brisket, problem is it is too long for the rack.  Anyone ever cut to fit and then tie the thin ends together.

Thanks, Greg

Habanero Smoker

Hi Greg;

Welcome to the forum.

The below link is one solution. Just make sure the brisket doesn't touch the sides or back of the cabinet.
Brisket Too Large?

Other options; if it is not too much longer than the rack, you can cut off a piece of the thin end of the flat. You use the cut off piece as stew meat, or if you have a grinder you can add that too some chuck, for hamburger or meatloaf. As mentioned in the link above, some have separated the point from the flat, and cooked them on different racks, with the point above the flat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Shuswap

Greg, I used the technique shown in the link Hab has provided and it works.

jjames

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 01, 2015, 02:05:12 AM
Hi Greg;

Welcome to the forum.

The below link is one solution. Just make sure the brisket doesn't touch the sides or back of the cabinet.
Brisket Too Large?

Other options; if it is not too much longer than the rack, you can cut off a piece of the thin end of the flat. You use the cut off piece as stew meat, or if you have a grinder you can add that too some chuck, for hamburger or meatloaf. As mentioned in the link above, some have separated the point from the flat, and cooked them on different racks, with the point above the flat.
The link did not work for me. What did they do?

Edward176

Hello and welcome to the Forum :)

TedEbear

jjames

Thanks guys. Going to try this Monday for a birthday on Tuesday.

KyNola

Make certain that your brisket does not come in contact with the side or back walls of the tower.  If it does, it greatly increases the risk of a grease fire.

JohnM70

Quote from: KyNola on July 02, 2018, 07:09:01 AM
Make certain that your brisket does not come in contact with the side or back walls of the tower.  If it does, it greatly increases the risk of a grease fire.

I can attest to what KyNola has said. If you look up my login name you will see the results of the meat touching the back of the oven. Thank you, thank you, Bradley.
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"