Bratwurst and Andouille

Started by ratherbboating, October 02, 2015, 01:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

Made Bratwurst and Andouille Monday and Tuesday this week.  The bratwurst is one that I make often  Here are a few pictures pf the Bratwurst.

The bratwurst is made fresh and put up frozen for a later date to eat.

Now to the Andouille.  This is a result of reading different sites on "how-to" and my version of it.  Course ground the butt and seasoned over night with spices.  Added bacon (that I made this past winter) chopped into 1/4 - 1/2" cubes, mixed and stuffed.  Let dry in smoker for an hour, 170F w/ smoke for 2 hours, 200F and brought up to 150F and pulled.  Will have to say this is my best smoked sausage in a while.

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

pensrock

Both look very good! I bet they even taste better.  :)

ratherbboating

Haven't ate any of the bratwurst yet, but it will be OK.  Same recipe I have used many times.
But... the andouille is good.  First time making this recipe, I did write down what I used and how much.  So I can make it again.  About the only thing I will do different is move the sausage around in the smoker, un-even temps.  Maybe every hour, so that would mean moving it twice.  (I got to put in a fan kit one day).
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

pensrock

I always rotate my racks to even things out during any cook/smoke.

cathouse willy

Your post made me think of jambalaya so I made a batch of andouille and the jambalaya is bubbling on the stove
For the andouille I used this recipe and cold smoked it for 5 hrs.
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

part way down the page is another link to his latest batch of andouille where Bradley smokers get a pat on the back

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2007/04/22/andouille-sausage/

For the jambalaya I used this recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hLcgQvJfL_E

It's a youtube video that runs 12 minutes but the chef is a clown and it's an entertaining 12 minutes, the first time I've heard the phrase "Boy Howdy." It makes an excellent jambalaya. I know its a lot of links but the sites are all legit and worth a look.

ratherbboating

The andouille recipe on NOLA (in my judgement) does not have enough fat content.  That was one of my early mistakes in making most sausages, not enough fat.  When you cook it or while smoking, it loses that fat (remember what somebody else said "pork fat rules"). 
I see all kinds of andouille recipes out there and most look good.  But it is the smoke that adds that something extra to it.
Now jambalaya, I never make it the same way twice.  What I have in my fridge that day is what I use.  Same way for gumbo.  I always have a large selection of spices, canned tomatoes (I can them during the summer, I have a LARGE garden), have bell peppers in the freezer (again from the garden), onions/garlic, andouille and most of the time shrimp (nowadays I have to make trips back down during the shrimping season to stock up the freezers).
I was from the Mississippi Gulf Coast and and always like Cajun cooking.