No oven temperature

Started by Sniper-T, October 08, 2015, 02:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sniper-T

I've had my Bradley for about three years and love it.  Aside from a few 'wiggle the wires' issues it has thus far been flawless.  Until yesterday!   :'(

I found this forum and started reading and tearing my machine apart and think I know the problem but want to throw it out for confirmation.

1.  Wiggled wires - nada
2.  tried plugging directly into oven - nada
3.  checked continuity between poles on oven plug - nada
4.  opened back, all wires look ok.
5.  in line fuse looks ok

I'm thinking element...  what say you?

Is this something I have to order from Bradley, or are there local suppliers (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) 

Additional question: 
- can I just plug and play with a larger element?  I have trouble reaching desired temps in the winter.  Either that or I'm thinking a velcro cozy for the outside  (think formed insulated blankie)

Disclaimer:  it has been both dropped and knocked over, although not recently, and it worked fine multiple uses after the latest incident, and no, I did not smoke the offending cat(s), but do weigh it down better since.

Thanks for any help, I am sure the information is available in threads already but there is just SOOO much to read here, I keep getting side-trac... Hey a Squirrel!

lol

T.

beefmann

sounds like you  have a bad element,,, id you  can  check the  element with an  ohm meter,,, should be  between  28 and 32 ohms

Habanero Smoker

Hi T.;

Welcome to the forum. Since you live in Canada, your best option for parts will be to call Bradley.

If your element checks out to be alright, it could be the in-line fuse. Often when the in-line fuse burns out, it is almost impossible to visually check it. The best way to check is with a multi-meter and check the continuity. Or you can use a piece of 14 gauge wire to temporarily by past the fuse, to see if the element works, and if the element works, the problem is the in-line fuse.

Many members have made insulating blankets, and reported that it helps. Some have build cabinets for their smokers, mostly uninsulated, but there are a few who have insulated the cabinets.

The following link may provide some help in maintaining temperatures in the winter:

Temperature Recovery
In addition to the above. Some members start with hot water in the pan, and use hot water when changing water. As always use caution with hot water.

Desired Temperatures?

If you are looking to modify your smoker, the below two links explain how to add a second element:
Additional Heating Element Modification

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On Off Control

If you search the board, you will also find several variations of adding a 900 watt element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sniper-T

Sniper-T

The continuity checked out with the inline fuse, but from contact to contact on the element itself, I got nothing!

Anyone know if they are available locally in Canada?  And where?

Sniper-T

Guess not.  Anyways... I found one and replaced mine.  tested... and working!

Thanks for the help!

Habanero Smoker

I know that others have asked for vendors in Canada that sell Bradley parts. Can you share your source with others?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Sniper-T

Simply enough... Cabela's.

Winnipeg Store had 5 of them on the shelf.  I bought two.  One is installed and one is on my shelf
$24.99 CAD

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/36023/bradley-replacement-heating-element

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the follow up. I'm sure it will be helpful to others.

I
         don't
                   inhale.