Oven First, Smoke Later?

Started by jm38712, October 12, 2015, 08:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jm38712

I have been smoking pork shoulder for pulled pork for a while now and have it down pretty good.  However I like to smoke it for about 14 hours at 200-220F to get it up to the 200F level where it pulls nice.  I am getting really tired getting up that early to have it ready for 7-8 PM that night.

Has anyone tried putting the pork in the oven at 220F the previous night (say midnight) and then put them in the smoker in the morning with full smoke for 3 hours and then let it finish cooking in the smoker till dinner time?  I am not sure how the smoke flavour will get in if it has already cooked for 8 hours in the oven.  I don't want to leave it smoking while I sleep since I don't like leaving the smoker unattended for that long.

Any other suggestions on how to not get up at 5 AM to enjoy freshly smoked pulled pork around 7-8 PM?

Habanero Smoker

I would say it should work, and it is worth a trial run with a small butt. For butts the smoke doesn't have to penetrate the meat, as long as it adheres to the surface (the bark), when it is shredded and mixed together you will have smoke flavor throughout the pulled pork. Also smoke does not penetrate more than 1/4" deep anyway. What is important is that the surface be moist, and it should be moist. If the surface is not moist, you can spritz it with apple juice or water every hour or so while it is in the smoker. Some sources state that the hotter the surface, the faster and more smoke will collect on the surface; as long as the surface is moist.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Interesting concept.  I'll reserve comment but if you give it a try, please come back and post your results and your opinion.  I'll be watching this one with great interest.

jm38712

Thanks.  I will give it a try and report back how it goes.  I am thinking it should work and give me more sleep!   :)

Normally I heat it in the oven for an hour at 220F while the smoker warms up and then smoke for the next 3-4 hours never opening the door.  Then I check it every 45 minutes and spray (mist) it with 1/3 oil and 2/3 apple juice.  It stays moist, gets a great bark and no need to let it sit in foil etc after or in the smoker.  The whole process though is about 14 hours.

Ka Honu

I would think that you'd be better off smoking first and then finishing in the oven. Smoking hot, already cooked meat doesn't sound like the best method for absorption.

If finishing "on time" is the issue, you can FTC for several hours or just smoke ahead, freeze or refrigerate, and reheat. Pulled pork never suffers from being prepared several hours to several months ahead.

TedEbear

Quote from: jm38712 on October 12, 2015, 08:35:11 PM
Any other suggestions on how to not get up at 5 AM to enjoy freshly smoked pulled pork around 7-8 PM?

Smoke it a day or more ahead of time and reheat it a few hours before you're ready to eat.  To me, pulled pork has a better flavor as a leftover a few days later instead of right out of the smoker.