To vent... or not to vent

Started by Sniper-T, October 16, 2015, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sniper-T

What are your guys' general rules of thumb in regards to how open your vent is... and why?

Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Because it is. lol  Mostly to let moisture out, as moisture trapped will keep your temp down, especially when smoking/cooking chicken with skin on it.

Sniper-T

Interesting.

I've always thought that keeping it closed helps regulate the temp, and infuses more smoke.

Do you have trouble getting smoke deep into thick meat with it wide open?

GusRobin

I removed my vent years ago. Never had a problem regarding smoke.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tskeeter

Removed vent damper three years ago.  After I forgot it closed and spoiled a batch of sausage.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Sniper-T on October 16, 2015, 06:19:01 PMDo you have trouble getting smoke deep into thick meat with it wide open?

Smoke doesn't penetrate meat all that far anyway - it's mostly a surface thing.

Another reason to run wide open is so that you don't get condensation inside the box and have the dreaded "black rain" dripping on your cook.

Habanero Smoker

If you are have done a mod to increase the heat, such as a dual or 900 watt element installation, then you can leave your vent wide open without any noticeable decline in performance. Or if you use a large water pan, that puts out a lot of moisture, then you may have to leave the vent wide open.

I still use the vent, though I don't have to with my dual element mod. As long as you leave it open wide enough to prevent condensation inside the cabinet there will not be any drop in temperature caused by moisture in the cabinet, and as mentioned it will prevent what is called "black rain". The moisture (steam) that is in the cabinet has already absorbed the energy needed to turn water into steam. If the vent is not open wide enough, the air in the cabinet will reach a saturation point, and condensation; water will form. At that point, more heat is needed to again transform the water into steam, and that is when you will get the drop in cabinet temperature.

Depending on what is being smoked/cooked and how much you have in the cabinet, if you are running with a stock Bradley, opening the vent too wide can let out too much heat, when a smaller opening would be adequate to allow enough moisture to escape; preventing "black rain", and allowing more heat inside the cabinet. If you can run with the vent wide open and still get adequate heat, that is an option. But if you are struggling to get the cabinet up to temp, adjusting the vent is easy enough to do, and you can tell in a short period of time whether a smaller or wider opening is helping. Just as a side note, I don't use a vent setting lower than 1/2 closed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Davemartin88

I have a Bradley 4 rack digital smoker and have the vent set at about 3/4 open. This seems to be a good compromise to help with keeping some heat in from the stock element and have never had any issues with condensation or black rain with it opened this way. In the summer, I could probably open the vent all the way as it's easier to heat the unit but haven't bothered this summer and didn't notice any issues. Good luck.

TedEbear

I adjust mine between halfway and fully open, depending on what I'm smoking.  If it is something with a lot of moisture I'll ope it all the way.  I figure Bradley designed the vent to be adjustable for a reason.

Jim O

Mine's wide open and has been for 5-6 years. Not sure where the louvers are.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

cajunboudreaux

What Vent? I have no stinking Vent. Took it off at time of purchase. None of my bradleys have them. In my opinion they heat and smoke much better without it. My food is a lot prettier too. No condensation or sutt.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

Shuswap

I'm still getting used to my OBS - aside from condensation is there not an issue of how fast the smoke moves past the product?  I've been fighting a bitter taste even with vent wide open so am thinking of adding a fan near the heater.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Shuswap on October 29, 2015, 06:46:40 AM
I'm still getting used to my OBS - aside from condensation is there not an issue of how fast the smoke moves past the product?  I've been fighting a bitter taste even with vent wide open so am thinking of adding a fan near the heater.

I find it depends on the equipment I'm using. For one of my charcoal burners, that is true, but for my WSM I get different results and can keep my vents pretty closed. Still you have to make the correct choices of the type of wood, and how much. For the Bradley I've been using an opening 1/2 - 3/4 opened, and do not get that bitter taste.

I don't recall if you started any posts about a bitter taste, if not you should. There could be several factors, such as the meat being very moist when you start applying the smoke, too strong of bisquette for the food you are smoking, and/or applying to much smoke to the type of food you are smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)