Do I panic or relax?

Started by Johnny Rascal, October 17, 2015, 10:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Rascal

I had a hand at curing my pork sausage in the cold cellar in the basement. I used 5.75 lbs of pork shoulder, 52g of ready cure,  2 g of dextrose, 1/2 tsp of starter lm
-1, paprika, whole peppercorns, fennel seed, and pureed boiled red Sheppard peppers and a little hot pepper for kick. It's drying hanging in the cellar but no clue what I should look for if changes should be made in terms of temp, ventilation, and humidity. I have a fan blowing around on low in there and a little window that allows external air to come in. It stays cool day and night, maybe even too cool. Not sure I followed the directions correctly on the temp, just hoping mother nature lends me a helping hand. Wondering what affirdable equipment I should invest in to help (if any) and if there are any signs what I'm doing is completely wrong. Any advice would be strongly appreciated! This is my first post but I will try my best to answer any questions quickly. Thanks!

Habanero Smoker

Hi;

Welcome to the forum.

For equipment look in the curing section. Several members have built their own dry curing chambers.

The below link is a good place to read and get the answers to your questions:

Fermented Sausage

Make sure you check out the Cultures; Equipment; Safety Hurdles; Standards; and Tradition tabs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)