Brand New Bradley Original Won't Get Above 150

Started by iansin, October 18, 2015, 02:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansin

Good Morning, new member here.  We just purchased a Bradley Original BS611.  I followed the directions for seasoning and after 2 hours the cabinet temperature sat just below 150 and wouldn't go any higher.  In frustration I threw in 3 large Italian sausages and the temp dropped to 130 and never climbed again.  It's plugged directly into the outlet, no extension cord.  How much does external temperature affect this?  We live in Winnipeg, Canada and the temperature was 48 degrees.  Cool but not cold, at least by our standards.  So far, I'm totally unhappy with this purchase.  Suggestions anyone?

beefmann

check the power jumper cable between the  smoke generator and the tower  and reseat  both ends making  sure there fully seated, ten turn on, adjust the temperature  all the  way up,,,,give your   self a few  minutes and check the heater in the  bottom  back of the  smoker, it should be  glowing red,

if it is  not we need to  figure out why,,, a few things to  check

1) heating  element should be between 28 and  32 ohns, check  with  ohm meter
2) power getting to the element ,  check with  volt  meter
3) check for any loose connections and re attach in proper  location

if none above works, call Bradley

iansin

Beefman, thanks for the suggestions. Turns out the connection to the cabinet wasn't all the way in. I thought it was when I hooked it up yesterday. When I pushed it more firmly the was kind of little click sound and all appears good now. Up to 250 no problem. Putting on a rib roast shortly, yum. Thanks so much for your help. Would have been lost without you.

Ian

beefmann

stendec

Ohhh thank you! I had the exact problem and I wiggled the cord in the generator a bit and heard it click and then my worries were gone,, thank you thank you!

beefmann

damhanson

Had the same issue but heard the click and seems to be heating now.  Question on the bisquettes.  Do they burn up completky or do they just  turn dark and get slightly smaller?

beefmann

Quote from: damhanson on January 02, 2016, 12:18:29 PM
Had the same issue but heard the click and seems to be heating now.  Question on the bisquettes.  Do they burn up completky or do they just  turn dark and get slightly smaller?

generally the pucks burn 90 - 95 % then get ejected and  replaced with another, as for getting  smaller,,, maybe 5 to 10 %,,, if the  pucks are affected by moisture,, they can increase by 50 % in some cases,,, personally in the old style packaging,, have seen  and increase due to  moisture in the air... then when burned shrinkage about  35 %...

hope this gives you  some light on how damp or dry the  wood is 

TedEbear

Quote from: damhanson on January 02, 2016, 12:18:29 PM

They will not burn up completely.  Here's a link that explains it. Bisquettes do not burn completely. Is this normal?

You might also verify that the puck is being pushed all the way onto the burner and not hanging up on the slide.  One owner had to modify his slightly so that the pucks lay completely flat on the burner and it results in a more complete burn.

Orion

Hello iansin, here is a link to some modifications that help deal with the Canadian cold winter temps. My puck burning characteristics have improved dramatically and temperature levels are achieved now faster and hold better.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=36796.0
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

cycleguy55

Yesterday I attempted some pork tenderloin and the temperature never got above 120° F, so I had to finish them in the oven.  Late dinner and a humbling experience to someone who takes pride on having food on the table when people expect it.

I checked the smoker this morning and it appears the plug on the short cord was not fully inserted into the generator.  I notice there is very little difference (perhaps 1/8") between full insertion of the male CEE plug into the socket on the generator (with good contact) and what looks like full insertion, but no contact - possibly due to the shield on the plug. 

Question: Has anyone cut back the shield to allow easier / greater insertion of the male plug into the socket on the generator?  I'm thinking of removing no more than 1/8" of that shield.  Thoughts?

skevwe

Help, please!  I have had my smoker for about 2 1/2 years now and have had no problems before when smoking things.  But today the smoker wont go above 160. I have checked the plug to see if it's in properly (never heard a "click"), opened the top vent to about 1/2 way open, and I'm not sure how to tell what gauge extension cord I am using.  I also brought the meat to room temp beforehand.  I don't want to have to buy a new smoker since it's not that old in the first place.       

Habanero Smoker

Hi skevwe,

Welcome to the forum. It would have been better if you had started a new thread. It may have caught the attention of more members.

You didn't mention what model you have, that will be helpful in diagnosing the problem. I would start by making sure all connections are secure. If you followed all the advise in this thread, there are a couple of other things that can prevent the smoker from heating up. If you tested the element with a multimeter and found it to be good, next use a computer power cord to plug the cabinet directly into the socket. If the element begins to glow the problem is the jumper cord or a loose wire in the generator.

If the element doesn't begin to glow, other possibilities could the inline fuse, and/or high temperature sensor. You will have to remove the back of the cabinet to access those parts.

The following link will take you to more trouble shooting tips;
Bradley Smoker FAQ's

As far as to determining the gauge of your cord, that information is often written on the side of the cord, along the whole length; but if you have been using that cord, it is not likely that the cord is the problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hotspur

Same problem with brand new unit. Pushed cord, and now works fine.

Thanks.