Safe to still smoke Pork Picnic Shoulder??

Started by Thumpinbass, October 19, 2015, 01:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpinbass

My local grocery store had pork picnics on sale for $.99 a couple months ago, so I bought 3 of them   Avg size is 6 lbs.  Anyways, we had problems with our freezer a week ago and everything thawed out.  We have managed to cook up and eat most of the stuff from the freezer, but just haven't had time to smoke the pork picnics yet.   They have been in the fridge for the past week.  They are still cryovaked from when I bought them.   Im thinking that are still good, wife isn't so sure so I would like a second opinion from everyone here.

And if they are still good, how much longer do you think i have cuz I'm not sure when I have time to smoke them yet.

Thanks for everyones help and advice

Allen

Habanero Smoker

It is too difficult to give advice on this. There is not information on how long they had been thawed in the freezer, what the temperature of the freezer was at when you discovered the problem. Even if everything had thawed properly, holding fully thawed meat in the refrigerator for another seven days can add to a possible problem.

I forgot to add that knowing how close to the use by date did you freeze the picnics, would also be useful information.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

considering the length of time you  have had the  pork roast, how much past the  use date they are , length of time that they have been thawed, i would not chance it and toss all the pork in  question,,, better to error on the  safe side then have people get  sick...

if the  pork was  thawed in a  controlled manor and   used,,, i  would have  no issue,, but in the  case of your  freezer going out, and it being  week thawed that your aware  of ,, Toss it,,,

Thumpinbass

Although it looks like they will be tossed, I'll still answer some questions so I don't leave you hanging.   
- I don't know the purchase date of them.  The used by date was March 16, 2015 and March 25, 2015. 
- they were still partially frozen when I found them.  The freezer was still cold, but more of a fridge cold, not freezer cold.
- the week being thawed was a week in the fridge after I found them.

I got them because they were on sale, so we are only talking about $13 total worth of meat but I didn't want to throw them out if there was a chance. 

Allen

Habanero Smoker

It would be better to know how far in advance they were frozen prior to the use by date.

I won't tell you to throw them out, or to use them; but with that additional information; such as the picnics being partially frozen when you placed them in the refridgerator; they may be alright for a few more days. A lot depends on how they were handled prior to freezing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)