First time will be smoking some Pulled Pork

Started by ghosttown, October 19, 2015, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

I am going to be smoking some Pulled Pork this weekend for the first time, I usually do Chicken/Ribs and wings. Few questions and hoping you guys can help me like always.

I will be having about 10 people over this weekend, how big of a Pork Butt I need? Keep in mind I will also be smoking a whole chicken roughly 6lbs as 2 of the people wont eat pork.

Is there different kinds of Pork Butt?

Dinner time will be at 5pm so what time should I start to smoke?

I am also going to smoke a whole chicken, should the chicken be on the top rack and the butt under it? Does it matter?

I think I will be putting a tray under the butt to capture the juice so I can use it for the sauce, however should I use the tray at the bottom of the cabinet or put another tray? The smoke generator is not attached to the bradley so I can use the tray at the bottom of the cabinet as It is no longer used to capture the pucks. On a side note I normally use that tray to add water to add moist to the cabinet not sure If I still need it.

What have people used for the sauce after their butt is ready? Not sure the juice during the cooking will be enough.

manfromplaid

i have found that the butts i use leave my about 6o% of my starting weight sometimes less. i also plan app. 4 ozs per serving so for 8 need at least 2 lbs. And because it lasts well i the freezer i always make extra. i just seal in a ziplok bag about 1 lb package. low and slow u should plan on 1 1/2 hrs per pound and start early (FTC) gives the meat time to rest and u won't be waiting to finish when everone is standing with plate in hand. i never get much juice off of mine so i don't try to catch it. here we like a couple different sauces, bulldog bbq is common and smokey bbq sauce also. as to where the chicken goes don't know but u could do the PP a couple days ahead(the flavour builds up sitting in the fridge) and reheat in crock pot.then the chicken on the day.

ghosttown

Either I may do the PP a day ahead or even do it overnight and then have it done in the morning so when its ready to each I can just reheat. Do any of you guys foil the butt while in the smoker?

manfromplaid

i don't - smoker  temp at 210   bring the pork to 195  but use the fork test slides in easy and turn.

ghosttown

If I do the butt on Saturday and finish it that day, what can I do so I can use it for Sunday Dinner? Would it be better to shred the butt on Saturday and then put it in the refrigerator or put the entire pork in the fridge and then shred the next day? Planning on using a crock pot and add the sauce and then serve when ready. 

tskeeter

Shred while warm, then refrigerate.

The most effective way I have found to reheat PP is to steam it.  Mix drippings and water 50/50 so there is about 1/4 inch in the bottom of a pot.  Add steamer basket.  Bring to boil.  Add PP and cover pot.  Heat through (about 10 minutes).  Remove PP and pour some of the liquid in the pot over the PP.  Ready to serve.

ghosttown

Perfect will do, what has people been using for the sauce. I want to have some BBQ or something on the side and give my guess an option if they want to add the sauce.

tskeeter

My preferred BBQ sauce isn't very PC here.  It's KC Masterpiece Original.

I also like to dress my PP with a vinegar based finishing sauce before serving.